Lynn Bee back in hospital.. again...NEWBIES...be aware!

maryc543
on 10/28/11 5:39 am
For those who haven't been around since the dawn of time,  (smirk)   Lynn Bee is my niece, a DS'er who had her original DS in 2006 by a vetted DS surgeon.  She has religiously done her follow up care, her bloods, her vitamin regimes, etc.  She has had so many problems with obstructions, strictures, etc.  She had a revision in 2008 or 9, I can't remember...  by another well thought of vetted DS surgeon.  They were hoping to ease some of the symptoms.  She had consulted with a number of DS surgeons, and they had agreed on this course of action.  It didn't help a bit.  In fact, the second surgery seems to have triggered an increased frequency of obstructions.
   She's back in Columbia Pres, Weill Cornell for another round of tests and examinations.  They are at a loss as how to help her.  Please, swing some chickens and , for you Catholics, work the beads.  She can't go on like this...hospitals and tests every other week.  She's got a great job, and she's worried about it.  Her boyfriend is a great guy, but living through this illness has got to be taking a toll. 
    Every surgery has risks.  She did all the right things, and has been living through hell because of her DS.  Melody, another NY'er, also a sweet young thing, has had troubles like you wouldn't believe.  (no surgical link to each other).  The  'I'm a DS'er and we can have cookies' mentality of a few years ago has thankfully waned, but I think newbies need to realize you can do all the research and planning you want, and it can still come down to 'luck of the draw'. 
  I have 'survivor guilt', because I'm older, have a worse health history pre-op, and am not as faithful with the follow up.  I lost 85% of the weight I wanted, feel fine, and have had few complications other than gall bladder trouble.  I wish I could switch with her.  She is so brave and focused.  She has a incredible future in her career, if she can just get her health under control.  
   Sorry for the rambling.  I'm just worried, and frustrated I can't fix her, and guilty that I thought this was a good idea for her, many, many moons ago....
    Send good, healing thoughts her way!!!!  Please!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/nimue
                Thanks,  Mary C    (proud Aunt of Lynn Bee)

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Blank Out
on 10/28/11 6:53 am
 Makes me very sad to read this!  I pray she can find answers!  Did the DS trigger an auto-immune response in her?  Was her body hyper sensitive?  What do the docs say about all this?  I am truly sorry.  I wish her the very best outcome!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

maryc543
on 11/1/11 5:27 am
The docs haven't a clue why this is all happening.   thanks for your good wishes!   Mary

Imissthe80s
on 10/28/11 6:55 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Mary- Of course this disturbs me, especially as a pre-op.  In your opinion, what would things have been like for her had she not had the DS?

maryc543
on 11/1/11 5:43 am
She would be a fat, less happy person....but healthier...  she didn't have any trouble with obstructions, strictures et****il after the surgeries.  In hindsight, I think, knowing her... the sleeve might have been a better choice for someone younger without a long history of screwing with her metabolism....it may have been as successful with the weight loss without the intestinal troubles....  but, if course,  I'm just guessing...and hindsight isn't worth too much....  
    then, on the flip side, without surgery, she would have gotten bigger and bigger, if she followed my pattern,  become hypertensive, developed diabetes, CHF, edema, etc...all the 'fat' related illnesses.  So, maybe not healthier.... 
     I don't want to scare a pre-op...just raise awareness that complications can occur, even in the vigilent....      You asked for my opinion....ans that's it....    I would have gone ahead with my DS, because my health was already declined....    i don't know what she would have done if given a 'do-over'.     Thanks for listening to my ramblings....   Mary

Imissthe80s
on 11/1/11 7:33 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Thanks for answering, Mary.  A lot to think about.

prettypixels
on 10/28/11 7:32 am
I'm so sorry for your niece and hope that they figure out an answer for her soon. Unfortunately the truth is that we don't always know ALL the answers with medicine; we are all different and for some reason, some people just react badly to certain things. It really is luck of the draw, which is part of why I was so scared I might die on the table. I still might have problems down the road and will do everything I can to prevent it, but no one can predict everything. I'm dreadfully sorry your niece is having these problems.
prettypixels
on 10/28/11 7:35 am
 May I ask, what did they do in the revision?  Did they reverse the intestinal portion of the DS? 
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

Elizabeth N.
on 10/28/11 12:19 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Mary's a busy beaver and so might not be back for a bit, so I'll chime in to say that I'm pretty certain it was a complete intestinal reversal.

maryc543
on 11/1/11 5:49 am
EN...thanks...!  we lost power on Saturday, and just got it back at work this afternoon (tuesday).   .  I don't know when I'll have heat, lights, or internet at home....!!!!  Lynn B is back at work, and will be re-admitted on Friday for some specialized kind of endoscopy....   hopefully, she'll have results by Monday...... I believe she has seen the 'guru's' of DS...  I just want them to be able to 'fix' her....   I know, unrealistic expectations....   but, as always,  thanks for your good thoughts!  I'm still dating that Southern Jersey guy....   when are you going to have a free Saturday night to meet me for dinner????    One of these days our school schedule will allow for a night off!    Mary  C