How long does the affect of sugar alcohols last?

morgangirl
on 10/26/11 12:52 am - MI
Yesterday morning I had my usual iced protein coffee made with Jay Robb egg white powder.  I must have hit my limit for intake since my guts were in an uproar yesterday.  Loud enough for my co-worker to hear!

I know Jay Robb has sugar alcohols in them and normally if I space out my protein drinks and don't use it everyday then I'm fine with it, but I guess I didn't space it out far enough and yesterday morning I drank a big one at 6:30am.  By 8:00 my tummy was so loud, and painfully bloated.  It remained that way ALL DAY until I went to bed.

I went to bed and woke up this morning back to normal.  So could it really have been the Sugar Alcohols all day giving me grief or was it something else?  My eating for the rest of the day was pretty normal compared to what I normally eat, but I didn't go carb free either.

For those who use egg white protein, is there one that tastes as good as Jay Robb but without the sugar alcohols?
Elizabeth N.
on 10/26/11 1:08 am - Burlington County, NJ
Sugar alcohol issues last at least 24 hours for me.

Janet P.
on 10/26/11 3:37 am
Can't touch sugar alcohols at all. Kicks in immediately and seems to last forever.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Kayla B.
on 10/26/11 4:45 am - Austin, TX
Yep, it's possible.  Sometimes when I eat something offensive I still don't feel right even the next day.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
kathy215
on 10/26/11 4:54 am
Sugar Alcohols are a killer !!. I can eat just a little bit of anything with sugar alcohols and be okay, but if I eat too much I pay big time, Killer gas and stomach cramps, usually last 12 to 24 hours..
I have to avoid ritas sf water ice. OMG horrible ...

Sheanie
on 10/26/11 5:39 am
SA's don't bother me.  But if I start rumbling somewhere inconvenient, that's what my GasX chewables are for.  Have you tried BeanO or GasX?  The BeanO you take before the offending food.  I've tried both ways, they both work great for me.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/11 3:30 am - Bellevue, WA
 The GasX quiets the tummy rumbling sounds?
Renfairewench
on 10/26/11 6:25 am
Oh I love Jay Robb egg white protein! I love it in my coffee in the morning. Nom nom nom!

As for them affecting me, well I can honestly say that the Jay Robb Egg White protein doesn't bother me at all, but dear lord if I ate a protein bar I would be in SA hell. I guess for me it just really depends on how many SA's are in whatever it is that I am ingesting.

Time that they bother me?  Ummm...hard to say since I do avoid them most of the time, but at best at least 8 hours. What usually happens is that SAs make me very flatulent, sometimes give me painful gas, but always make me poop poop pooooooop! 

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Udamnskippy
on 10/27/11 4:13 am - Port Orchard, WA
Not an expert on SA but I do know that I can not do Wriggleys Spearmint gum ... and most Hard candies.... WOW I be farting like CRAZY !!!   Found out about the gum on a plane trip ... OMG what a time I had ... I felt sorry for the other passengers...
Gas X is a savior for me....
Most Active