Help with Severe Indigestion/GERD Post Op

Patty Kake
on 10/25/11 9:37 am
I found that taking my crushed meds went down a whole lot better if I mixed them with about 4 tablespoons of chicken boullion (broth) and drank it down like a shot.  It went down a lot better than trying to mix it with cream of wheat or any type of food. 

Again, good luck.

Blessings.

Patty
zpaultx
on 10/25/11 10:04 am - IL
 Thanks all for your feedback and help!  My doc prescribed 20 mg Prilosec twice a day.  I just took the first dose and feel better already.  I'm learning quickly that there are SO many variables that I never even thought of.  Just hoping that things start to smooth out internally.  I haven't even taken any of the liquid pain killer in two days.  I expected a lot more physical pain from the port holes, but really, that's been not too bad at all!

I'll keep taking it one day at a time.  I'm already down 35 pounds which is pretty amazing!

Paul
--
Z Paul Reynolds
Lap DS 10/19/2011
Dr. Marshall/OSF St. Francis Medical Center, Peoria, IL

newyorkbitch
on 10/25/11 10:23 am
Hang in there,  Paul.  I take 20mg of prilosec twice a day and have for many years - before the DS and after.  Just take it with water at this point.  It will make a big difference. 

Congrats on the loss so far!  Make sure to stay hydrated.
walter A.
on 10/25/11 11:09 am - lafayette, NJ
been taking 4mg of prilosec 2xday for many years and will continue for the rest of my life. and I get a endoscope annually.  to check my esophagus with biopsies. and I have regurgitated since I had my fundi wrap in 95 witch made for a special vsg which only Dr Gagnar and Dr Anthone would do. My point is that you probably need your prolosec dose, and also understand that the dose you take today works tomorrow not today. it is systemic.    if you have a feeding tube, use it. i used mine for 12 weeks very nice thing to have.
zpaultx
on 10/25/11 11:12 am - IL
Walter:

What is this feeding tube you speak of?

Paul
--
Z Paul Reynolds
Lap DS 10/19/2011

walter A.
on 10/26/11 5:54 am - lafayette, NJ
SOME surgeons insert a j tube into your intestine below your stomach so you can inject liquid protien drink and water instead of drinking it. it save a lot of discomfort,  some doctors routinely do this .  
larra
on 10/25/11 12:13 pm - bay area, CA
It seems like almost everyone has this problem right after surgery. For me, pepcid did nothing but prilosec made all the difference in the world. And even though I'm not the best at swallowing pills, I had no problem with them.

Larra
zpaultx
on 10/25/11 12:26 pm - IL
Larra:

Yes, after just one dose of Prilosec tonight, I feel like a new man!  Even though it's not supposed to be immediate acting, I've gotten MUCH relief!  I'm very surprised they let you swallow the capsule/pill whole.  They've made me open the capsule and sprinkle into something.  I'm crusing all of my pills (YUCK) with the exception of anything that's chewable.

Paul
--
Z Paul Reynolds
Lap DS 10/19/2011

larra
on 10/25/11 12:58 pm - bay area, CA
Each surgeon has a different protocol. I was allowed to eat very soft foods by the time I went home, and never crushed a pill.

Larra
pawmetto.on.cloud.

on 10/25/11 11:56 pm
I had the same issue and I ended up back in the hospital since it got out of control, and just upping my nexium ( which I take whole) fixed everything after they got me back on track with tpn and fluids.