Very Loose Stools after DS What now diapers?

larra
on 10/25/11 11:59 am - bay area, CA
I'll try to be helpful here, but I can't stop myself from agreeing with so many others that your research left something to be desired - 4th surgery - not Dr. Huacuz (good decision!) but still not a vetted DS surgeon, let alone someone who does revisions to the DS. You are certain you had a real DS, and hopefully you're right, but I would still get the OP report, even if it's in Spani**** can always be translated.
      Having said all that, let's point out a few realities:

1. You JUST HAD your surgery. EVERYONE has diarrhea at this point. It WILL get better with time.

2. Your diet does matter, even at this early stage. MILK?? Why would you think your lactose intolerance would be gradual? It's not as though the intestines are gradually being bypassed. stop all milk and don't try it again for at least a few months.

3. Calcium - well the liquid calcium with mag probably isn't helping matters, but TUMS are worthless. You won't absorb the calcium in them as it is calcium carbonate, NOT the calcium citrate that you need. (again, not the best of research). There are lots of calcium citrate products out there. If you can't swallow those big pills (I can't) you can take the chewables from Bariatric Advantage, which you can purchase either directly through Bariatric Advantage or from Vitalady. They won't cause diarrhea and you will absorb them just fine.

4. Leaving the house - come on, let's be reasonable and realistic. This is major surgery, for you more so than most because of all the adhesions (scar tissue) from part surgeries. Give yourself time to heal and to adjust to your new intestines. Pushing yourself too hard too fast will only cause more problems in the long run.

5. No doc in USA - this is a serious problem. Should have been arranged prior to surgery, but that ship has sailed. Find one NOW. It doesn't have to be a surgeon, what you will need is a good pcp who will be willing to learn about the DS and order the necessary labs for you.

6. Depression - perfectly natural at this point. Major surgery. General anesthesia. Feeling like crap and worried about your job and your future. Hormones being released from fat cells. Again, talk to a doctor if needed, get help if needed. There are lots of great meds these days for depression. And keep in mind that you are fresh out of surgery, keep your expectations realistic, and know that you WILL feel better with time.

Larra
jlweb55
on 10/25/11 12:10 pm
A G A I N  I did not use Huacuz for this surgery. And my cardio will order all my labs for me but I would like to find a good gastro that I could work with. I will ask a doctor friend of mine to try to find me one.
jlweb55
on 10/25/11 12:13 pm
And thanks for the info on the calcium I will order the chewables tomorrow if they have them. I also cannot swallow large pills.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/25/11 11:40 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Try putting the big pills in a little water and letting them fall apart.

* Gail R *
on 10/25/11 2:11 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
Well then who was your surgeon, if we might ask?

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

glzgowlass
on 10/26/11 6:04 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
You should probably update your surgeon in your profile to stop the confusion.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/25/11 3:05 pm
On October 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM Pacific Time, jlweb55 wrote:

I need help and yes I am yelling it. I just had DS on Oct 17,2011, I knew it was the right surgery for me and I did do a lot of research, but nowhere did I see anyone say they would have very wattery stools afterwards, I am a realtor and I can not leave my house. What am I going to do? I hope someone has an answer for me soon, before I fall into a real nightmare of a depression over this. There has to be something I can take. I have been taking imodium but it only last for about 4-6 hours and it says to only take 4 per day. It takes 4 to just slow it down for a little while. Please contact me if anyone out there can help , thanks [email protected]

Hi JL

You are so early out, this is why it's happening, this is preatty normal for the first month. I think you may be rushing to get back to normal here. Give your intestines time to adjust and heal. I tried to jump back into normal too soon and it really made it difficult to heal properly.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

sdld2001
on 10/25/11 8:05 pm - Summerville, SC
You really should consider changing the surgeon you have listed on your profile ASAP because until then as soon as someone sees that horrific name, they will jump on it like stink on **** and you won't get very far.
Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
Fran-I Am
on 10/25/11 8:27 pm
I am 14 days post-op and have some liquid stools still. My first BM of the day will be very soft and formed and then a little later I will have a liquidy stool.

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
Janet P.
on 10/25/11 9:33 pm
We get it - you did not have the surgeon listed in your avatar - you need to change that otherwise people will continue to comment on that.

You had MAJOR surgery 8 days ago - did you really expect to walk out of the hospital and immediately continue with your previous life? Recovering from MAJOR surgery takes time - more than 8 days. If you don't give you body time to heal you're only asking for trouble in the future. I understand your need to work, care for your family, etc. However, you had MAJOR surgery 8 days ago.

The loose stools will get better as you start to add solid food to your diet. As the saying goes--liquid in, liquid out. Could definitely be the lactose. No matter how much research a person does there are some things you have to experience. Everyone is different so you have to listen to your body and adjust accordingly.

It will get better but you definitely need to be patient. You had MAJOR surgery 8 days ago.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny