Very Loose Stools after DS What now diapers?

jlweb55
on 10/25/11 11:00 am
Well I can tell that my sleeve is much smaller and I have very loose stools. I have also lost 12 lbs in 6 days , so what ever they did it is working.
jlweb55
on 10/25/11 11:01 am
Oh and I also have all my xrays from the surgery. However I can not read them and I think finding a doc here in the us to work with may be difficult. to do. Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/11 4:39 am
You had surgery 8 days ago and want to know why you have watery stools?

Anytime you have your stomach and / or intestines messed with you will experience a difference in bowel habits. Anytime.  Your extensive research should have at least mentioned this in passing. Also, your research should have let you know that you would feel like you had been hit by a huge truck for at least a month to 6 weeks or more.

The 2 surgeons that performed your surgery are not noted or recommended for DS surgery. You need an operative report.  I would question what type of surgery you had and wonder if you picked up a C-diff infection in the hospital.
butercup
on 10/25/11 4:44 am - Kennewick, WA
It's totally normal and you aren't very far out at all. It will get better, but in the very beginning it feels like your colon is going to drop out of your body. Changing your diet isn't even going to help you. Maybe when you start some more solid foods it will get a bit better. Cheese seemed to help solidify stuff.

I know how you feel about getting depressed too. It will get better. Hang in there.
jlweb55
on 10/25/11 11:44 am
thanks I am nibbling on cheese right now. Thanks
NoMore B.
on 10/25/11 4:49 am, edited 10/25/11 4:49 am
 I saw in your prior posts that you are on your 4th weight loss surgery?  What were the other surgeries?  We're asking because you may not have a true DS.  The surgeon you listed isnt a vetted DS surgeon, let alone a revisionist DS surgeon.

You could have an infection, you can have a botched surgery, or in the best of all things you could have a real DS and are having issues with your intestinal configuration adapting.  While some diarrhea is common, feeling like you cant leave the house and need to wear a diaper is not.  What are you eating?  So early out what you eat can make a huge difference in how you feel.

So soon after surgery dehydration is a real threat.  The diarrhea you're having is going to make it worse.  

What kind of protein and vitamin reqirements will you be following?

You may be in a critical situation so please come back and tell us what is going on.  

Also, never a good idea to write you personal email address on a message board.  When people reply to your post here, it will automatically email you the reply to the email address you used to set up your account on OH.
jlweb55
on 10/25/11 11:49 am
Had the non adjustable band by Dr Molina in Houston,Tx 20 years ago. It was not tight enough. Had it removed 18 months later. Then had the sleeve done with Huacuz  4 years ago. He did not get it small enough . Just had the DS done 10/17 total with a new sleeve and the switch. Dr Almonza said my sleeve was very large , but he made it smaller.
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/11 5:19 am - San Jose, CA

OMG, where to start?

Huacuz - REALLY??  Did you not READ this message board, and all the warnings about him?

Did you not read everything you could get your hands on before having the most powerful and malabsorptive surgery available, so that you would KNOW what to expect, so that you would KNOW what was normal and what was not, so that you would KNOW how to handle the very normal and expected issues that occur in the first several weeks? 

Do you not have access to your surgeons regarding problems you are having?  Did you not plan to have a PCP or other local physician with whom you can consult on such problems, BEFORE you had surgery in Mexico?

I know you are upset and probably a little worried about what is going on, AND YOU SHOULD BE, but you have to understand that the DS is NOT a surgery you can take lightly, and from your few posts here, it seems like you didn't do a FRACTION of the necessary research you should have done before plopping down money to go out of the country to get a FOURTH (FOURTH??!!!) bariatric surgery, and most of us reading this are APPALLED and SHOCKED that anyone would do such a thing.

So take this into consideration - while you may not like what I am saying or how I am saying it TO YOU, this post will serve as a DIRE WARNING to pre-ops reading it in the future, who will I hope learn from you to not do what you did.

Having lectured you, let me summarize and reiterate my and other's advice:

1) You need to get an op report to find out what has ACTUALLY been done to you - we have SERIOUS doubts about your surgeon's capabilities.  If you actually got a BPD or an ERNY, the treatment and what to expect may be VERY different from what we would tell you if you have a proper DS.

2) You need to READ about what to expect in the first 2 months, and what to do about the normal issues.  You need to know the remedies for very loose stools (e.g., Immodium, chia seeds, calcium).  You need to know the signs of dehydration and when to go to the ER for a bag of fluids if necessary.  You need to know the signs of bacterial overgrowth - dog only knows what kind of infection you might have picked up in Huacuz's OR, or if you have C. diff, which requires VERY special treatment and IMMEDIATELY.  YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW THIS STUFF - IF YOU DON'T, GET READING!  Take your laptop or netbook or phone to the bathroom and read while you're pooping!

3) If you really are getting depressed (and it can happen for a LOT of situational reasons, including post-anesthesia, lack of sleep from pooping in the middle of the night, narcotics, ketosis/carb withdrawal, hormone release from your depleting fat reserves), GET TO A DOCTOR and get treated.  It will all likely go away as you recover from surgery, but it will take time and there's no need to suffer.  And being depressed will slow your recovery and can interfere with your getting physically active, as well as create a poor emotional and hormonal environment for healing.

IF YOU CAN'T BE A GOOD EXAMPLE, AT LEAST BE A DIRE WARNING.

jlweb55
on 10/25/11 11:21 am
I did not use Huacuz, I am sure I got the DS. I heal very easy and well. Everyone else who had surgery that same day was still groaning and complaining.and staying another 2 days.  Also the reason I am haveing such a problem with the loose stools is that when I had my child 27 years ago I had to have an episerectomy and rectal repair surgery afterward. So I do not have good retention. I thought really hard before I had this done but I really had no choice. I have a 10 year old I am raising and I have congestive heart failure distolic due to being overweight all my life, I am also diabetic {But not anymore} So I did what I had to do to finish out my life with quality if possible. I will be 59 in November. My Cardio told me 5 years ago to have bypass and I knew better and just had the sleeve if it had worked it might have helped but it did not. So I have saved for the last 4 years to get this done. I will love it no matter what as long as I loose weight and live a better life. Thanks Judy
jlweb55
on 10/25/11 11:23 am
I have studied about DS for over 4 years and read it all . I just did not see much about the diarreha or how long it will last after surgery. I would like to know it will end and about when. Thanks