Making Choices

"Just Elizabeth "
on 10/24/11 4:25 am - Houston, TX
So my 20 (will be 21 at the beginning of December) years old nephew is going through the "I don;t know what I want to be when I grow up" mess that we all go through. He is in school and we all tell him, no matter what!!! Get a degree. Every week he is thinking about a new major. Well last Sunday he announced he was interested in maybe studying nutrition. REALLY?!??!?!!! Well then!!! Make sure that you study up on people who have WLS...all the surgeries!!! Because they are not all the same and people can die because of wrong information. If he follows through on this he will be wonderful at it. However, that is a big if and I know it. But wow!!! If he did....

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

* Gail R *
on 10/24/11 5:21 am - SF Bay Area, CA
What a great idea! My boys are still trying to find the right slot to fit into. Tough in this economy even with degrees. Having a skill that few others possess is a key to success. Good luck to him.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

kirmy
on 10/24/11 5:35 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Science is the new black!  Push that boy to ******d as they are the NEW NEW sexy.  Nutrition would be ace and can spring board him into tonnes of other degrees if it ****** him off.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 7:39 am - Woodbridge, VA
ha, I'm 29 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up  :P  I got my degree in business administration and am gainfully employed in a career with plenty of job security that pays well...but I'm not in love with it and now feel "trapped." So, whatever he ENJOYS, support him in persuing it - I think we all learn a little too late that the "smart" choice isn't always the one that will make you happy!
"Just Elizabeth "
on 10/24/11 7:53 am - Houston, TX
JILL!!!! Hey there girly girl!!! How have you been?

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 7:56 am - Woodbridge, VA
heh, TIRED! 18 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and it is sucking out ALL my energy! I haven't been posting much since I can't get to OH when I'm at work and usually end up falling asleep on the couch in the evenings before I get to do much online. I'm such a bum lately  :P

Any trips to VA in your future??
"Just Elizabeth "
on 10/24/11 8:04 am - Houston, TX
My friend that I was visiting when I got to see you is also pregnant. She is about 5 weeks away from delivering. She has been telling me the same thing most of the nine months.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

Julie R.
on 10/24/11 10:05 am - Ludington, MI
 Elizabeth - make sure he gets his degree in dietetics.....there are a lot of different "nutrition' - type degrees, but the dietetics is what will get him a job as an RD, and that's where the money is.   In order to get a job working in a hospital, or for example, a bariatric practice, he needs to have that, and be registered, usually after doing an internship.    My daugther is getting her degree in dietetics too......it's a rigorous program, and she's just in her freshman year.  I hope she can tough it out!
Good luck to him!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125