Pre-op blood work results. Advice please

sandyv63
on 10/24/11 5:14 am - Naples, FL
My surgery is Nov 10th with Dr. K and my nerves are already getting the better of me. Top that off with some screwy test results and, well, wrapped too tight doesn't begin to describe me. For those of you familiar with this stuff, should I be supplementing with iron now considering the following numbers? (all are still within range but seem on the low side to me)

Iron & total iron binding capacity
Iron, total   55     (range 40-175 mcg/dl)
Iron binding capacity  360  (range 250-450 mcg/dl)
% saturation  15  (range 15-50%)
Ferritin  28  (range 10-232 ng/ml)

Also, my urinalysis came back strange. All was normal except the following:

Occult blood  2+
Leukocyte esterase 3+
WBC >= 60 (range
airbender
on 10/24/11 6:45 am
yes, you need some iron supplementation,  your iron should be around 100, your % sat should be around 25-45%, ferritin 70-90 minimum for females

your UA suggest a UTI.......
teachmid
on 10/24/11 6:48 am - OKC, OK
Totally agree....UTI and you need iron. Dr. K gave me an iron infusion while in the hospital since my ferritin was starting at 6.

Good luck with your surgery. You are in great hands.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

sandyv63
on 10/24/11 7:01 am - Naples, FL
Thank you for the replies. I have absolutely no symptoms of a UTI so it must be a mild infection. I will start iron supplementation asap. I am determined not to have to resort to infusions down the line. I don't know how successful supplementing now will be since surgery is so close but it is worth starting anyway. It certainly won't hurt.
Janet P.
on 10/24/11 10:57 pm
Since you're pre-op, iron results can be related to your age if you are still having your periods. Honestly if your labs were drawn on either side of your period, you numbers can be skewed.

Once you have your surgery your homones will go wacky (I didn't have a period for almost a year after my DS). Then it came back with avengence and I finally had to have a procedure to stop my periods because my iron was so bad (but I was also very close to menopause age so I was fine with that).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny