Suggestions on good, CHEAP unflavored protein?

looking4loss
on 10/24/11 1:23 am - Overton, NE
I always put two scoops of GNC's 100% Whey Protein, unflavored, in my coffee every morning
but I go through so much and it's so stinking expensive!!  I have been researching some
other options online and was wondering what other people are liking.  I need one that
dissolves well and truly is unflavored.  It needs to not get lumpy in my coffee.  Any suggestions?

Sarah
butercup
on 10/24/11 5:25 am - Kennewick, WA
I use Bioplex and I got it from Super Supplements. It was about 20 bucks I think. I don't mix it with coffee, but it's made for baking. I mix it with soup and other hot savory things. If you have SS store in town they will take back or exchange protein powders you don't like. They got my loyalty for that alone.
sandyv63
on 10/24/11 7:19 am - Naples, FL
What would you consider cheap? Amazon has whey protein isolate unflavored by NOW for about $14 for a 1.2# container; Jarrow 1# for about $13; Nature's Best 3# for about $39 ($35.22 if you subscribe); Allmax 5# for about $65. There are many more  brands to choose from besides these.
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 7:52 am - Woodbridge, VA
ANY protein will clump in coffee if the coffe is too hot - it's protein, so it cooks! Think of an egg white - drop egg whites into a HOT beverage, and it will cook! The key to non-clumping protein in hot beverages is making sure the beverage isn't too hot. It also helps to make a "slurry" (a la MajorMom) with the protein and a cooler liquid (like cream if you add that to your coffee, otherwise just some cooler water), then slowly add the hot coffee to the slurry.

I went through multiple 5-pound buckets of ISO Sensation 93 in natural. I used it in hot chai tea lattes, hot chocolate, and in cold drinks.
Blank Out
on 10/24/11 10:27 am
 I buy Jarrow unflavored whey protein from Vitacost for about $18 for a 2 pound container.  You cannot put protein powder into hot liquid.  It can only be very warm, or it will clump.

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

looking4loss
on 10/24/11 11:30 pm - Overton, NE
Oh, I know about the clumping thing.  I do always make a slurry first with my creamer and a bit of coffee and "temper" my protein before I add the rest of my coffee.  But I have had experience with some clumping more than others.  

I was looking at the Jarrow brand and wondered if it was good.  I think I will try that next month
and see how I like it.  Thank you for the good advice!
RKLC2002
on 10/25/11 10:54 am - Omaha, NE
I ordered Unjury, which is 20 grams per scoop and has 15 scoops in the container.  I think it's $17 a container.   I'm just 2 weeks out, but I've been adding it to 2 tbsp oatmeal for a boost of protein.   I'm still experimenting though.

Good luck!
Renee

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

jass28
on 10/27/11 5:29 am - A Town, NJ
 On amazon just saw a 5lb tub of it for $50 with shipping. 

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

girlygirl1313
on 10/27/11 8:41 pm, edited 10/27/11 8:50 pm - Davidson, NC
 I use NOW brand unflavored protein.  I buy it in 10lb bags and surprisingly have been through quite a few of them since surgery.  Only order it online as in stores they want $120-150 a bag.  Here's who I've used.....

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/now-100_percent_pure_whey_protein_isolate_natural.htm
($78.99 & all orders ship for $5.95) this link has a good description of the product too.

http://www.vitaglo.com/2177.html
($76.99 and ships FREE)

The large bags do not come with a scoop.  I bought my first order with a smaller jug size and it has a scoop plus works well to transfer the bulk product into a smaller container. (you might want to order it in a small size just to try it out first.)  The large bag is resealable and does stay fresh.
I use 2 scoops a day (25g each scoop) and the bag lasts about 3 months.
~GG

edited to add:  This is what I use in my coffee every morning! I don't like sweet/flavored coffees but I do like coffee with half&half.  The addition of unflavored protein keeps it real for me. :)