Anyone know a good DS nutritionist?

sandyv63
on 10/24/11 2:02 am - Naples, FL
Why not use Dr. K's NUT? My NUT here in FL is anti surgery and would not do the NUT eval that Dr. K requires so I had to use his NUT. She seemed very knowledgeable about the DS and its nutritional needs. Call the office and ask to see/speak to her. My consultation was over the phone and I really liked her.
Debbie M.
on 10/24/11 4:23 am
great idea, will do!  Thanks

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

* Gail R *
on 10/24/11 2:56 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Hi Debbie, Nice to see you on the board. I don't know a nutritionist, just wanted to wish you good health!

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

butercup
on 10/24/11 5:28 am, edited 10/24/11 5:28 am - Kennewick, WA
I get most of my nutritional info on here from the people that have lived it and learned what to do. I don't think there is such a thing as a DS nutritionist. Good luck to you in getting the rest of your weight off. It may be just as simple as cutting your carbs and upping your protein.
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 6:17 am - San Jose, CA
No, but I know a really BAD one who has a FB site and operates out of TX.  I would recommend you avoid her at all cost.
Emily F.
on 10/24/11 7:54 am
 I think its like the tooth fairy.
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/24/11 7:54 am - Sedona, AZ
I am wondering if our collective knowledge here isn't better than a nutritionist would be for the group since we seem to be so misunderstood.

Besides needing the 64 oz water, 100+ (varied by your labs- some say 120-150 grams is better for us) and of course all the Vitalady recommendations in supplements, I have a lot of curiosity about if we absorb any of the nutrients from food worth of trying to eat fruits & veggies like a normie after the weight is lost. Someone here told me we don't absorb ANY nutrients from food after the DS but I don't see how that is possible if we do absorb protein and the supplements.

Maybe if you have specific questions you are wondering about you should throw them out there for discussion amongst us. I would like to see what others have been given too from their NUTS and surgeons as recommended diets! 

Some here try to stay below 50 carbs a day and some want to avoid going into ketosis. I know we don't all agree and everyone is different and not all info found here is accurate too so I try to bear that in mind. I would trust our collective knowledge here tho more than most nutritionists as we live it!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Debbie M.
on 10/25/11 12:30 am
I called my surgeon and he suggested the same thing.  Thought I should get my info on a vegetarian website and just keep track of the proteins. He thinks I'm insane but understands and says is doable.  He also knows of a vegetarian who has had a DS that he's going to contact and hopefully we can connect..  I really want to try and make it work, I feel so much better in 3 months and blood pressure has gone down which tells me something.  Like he said you've got to do your labs and listen to your body.  Thanks for chimming in, I really appreciate it.

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

newyorkbitch
on 10/25/11 12:42 am
The main thing is that you have to get enough protein,  and that your carbs stay low enough so that you can lose/maintain the loss you want.  That's tricky without fish/chicken/meat...because not only is it hard to get enough protein,  but the protein you will eat,  at least a lot of it,  is carb-based (like legumes and rice = a whole protein, for example).

But you are eating dairy and eggs which will help a lot.
Monique H.
on 10/24/11 1:26 pm
Debbie I just wanted to say hi as well. I've been looking for posts from you to see how you were doing since you were one of the ones I had been watching when trying to decide if I wanted to have the revision. I'm glad you're doing ok.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10