Anyone know a good DS nutritionist?

Debbie M.
on 10/23/11 11:56 pm

Hello Old Friends, been a long time since I posted but I do check in and read from time to time.  Been busy out there living life and enjoying the fact that I don't weigh 352lbs.  For those of you I don't know I had my DS in Feb 2010, was revised from an RNY with Dr. Keshishian.  I've been doing great, haven't gotten as low as I'd like but it's my own fault, I need to modify some things i eat and I'm sure I'd lose the last 40lbs I need to.  But at 185 I'm happy and have no complaints.

I'm looking for a good nutritionist and wonder if anyone has worked with one they can recommend.  I became a vegetarian in August and am trying to balance everything I need to get in without being a total carb fiend.  I think it would be a good investment of my time and money to meet with someone.

Another question, when you go in for labs, can they check how your protein levels are, if so, anyone know the name of the test? 

Thanks,
Debbie

SW 358/CW 201/Goal - anything below 160
Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

newyorkbitch
on 10/24/11 12:01 am
Albumin and pre-albumin

Also you need to be concerned about iron levels.

Why are you a vegetarian?  It's not advisable for a DSer.  You need a lot of protein,  and you will not lose the weight (and you will regain) with too many carbs.  As a vegetarian,  your protein will be carb-based.  And it will be difficult to get in enough protein that works for you.  It's a recipe for disaster for a DSer.  

Perhaps you should consider eating fish and chicken.  Are you eating eggs and dairy at least?  I hope you are eating a lot of eggs,  if so.  Does dairy give you any trouble?
Debbie M.
on 10/24/11 12:30 am
Thanks for the info on the protein tests.  That's really helpful. 

I do eat eggs, milk, cheese.  Milk bothered me early on but doesn't seem to any longer.  I'm trying to learn to love tofu (it's a batle), need to find better ways to cook with it, I like tempah, found some great vegetarian hot dogs that I like, so there are substitutes out there.  Something happened to me over the summer and I just snapped, the sight of meat cut on a table just turns my stomach and I get nauseaus at the site of it.

If I'm having a low protein day I will supplement with a shake or protein bar and I seem to be doing ok, the blood test will tell.  My blood pressure has dropped and I generally feel better without it.  My kids think I'll last til Christmas and I'll break, but I don't think so.

Anyway, I want to be sure I'm being smart about what I'm doing and that's why I want to consult with a nutrionists who has experience with DS patients.

Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

newyorkbitch
on 10/24/11 12:53 am
I'm concerned that your DS is over a year and a half ago and you don't even know what labs you need....you should have had your albumin checked by now for sure.  Do you have a list of the things you need checked?  When did you have labs done last and what was included?

J G.
on 10/24/11 4:20 pm
Hi Debbie! 
Do you eat fish?  I was a "semi" vegetarian the first year of my DS.  I ate eggs, milk, cheese and fish.  Did just fine.  Actually I had been eating that way for about 10 years.  Somewhere in year two I added poultry and now this year a little pork.  I think you'll be fine as long as you count your protein grams and get your labs done.  -Jenny 
Debbie M.
on 10/25/11 12:24 am
Thanks Jenny, I don't eat fish but am going to supplement with 3-4 protein shakes/bars a day, and get the rest through food and keep working towards reducing number of bars/shakes and increasing food options as I educate myself in this lifestyle.  I have to tell you, in the 3 months I've been doing this I feel so much better. 
Debbie

Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

Blank Out
on 10/24/11 1:09 am
 On Vitalady's website, she has a lab sheet you can print out...  Save your $ on a Dietician.  They are all from the same school.   Why not participate on Major Mom's Daily bites and vites thread?  There you will be accountable daily.  You know what you need to do.  Keep protein and fat at the fore front of your daily intake, and keep sugar and simple carbs very low.   I know you know this!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Debbie M.
on 10/24/11 1:30 am
ok, whoa....I know what labs to have, I do have a copy of Vitalady's list.  The first year I had my labs checked every 3 months, now I do it annually, I may need to go to every 6 months depending on what these results show.  In reading my question in my original post, I understand why it would cause concern.  What I meant to ask is which test shows proteim, I couldnt' remember which one off top of my head and didn't have access to my previous results to look it up.  

Anyway, that aside, thanks for the info.  Would still love the name of a good nutrionists if anyone has worked with one. 

Thanks,
Debbie

Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)

MajorMom
on 10/24/11 2:07 am - VA
You are welcome to join us on Bites & Vites. I have no problem with vegetarian diets as long as you're getting around 100 grams of protein from a few sources.

I think a lot of my dietitian and she's on board with Vitalady.  Unfortunately, she's on the east coast. She may advise if you can send her labs and samples from your food diary though. Contact info: Emily Doerman, R.D. Bariatric Dietitian Advanced Bariatric Services 703.778.6000 [email protected]

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Debbie M.
on 10/25/11 12:31 am
Thanks Major Mom - appreciate the input.

Angel to TEAZ (Michelle)