What are the best nuts for us DS'ers?

pktwatch
on 10/23/11 12:25 pm
I may not be quite ready to eat nuts yet at 5 weeks out but I am looking forward to nuts and popcorn! Buttered popcorn was one of our go to snacks. I would make one of those big stir kettles and my wife would eat a small bowl and I ate the rest (a lot)

So what is your experience with nuts, is one kind a lot better than the others for us? How far out of surgery should one be before trying nuts or popcorn? I seem to tolerate everything that I have tried and almost everything still tastes good to me.

I go to the nutritionist and the Dr. tomorrow and don't want to ask them, I am afraid of what they will say.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

NoMore B.
on 10/23/11 12:41 pm
I survived on nuts and cheese (and proten shakes) for the first few months.  Someone might know more about carb counts, if you're strictly tracking those. but I just ate what I liked as far as nuts go.  

I ate pistachios, cashews, and macademia nuts like they were going out of style. I used to buy them in bulk and carry them around with me.  

Come to think of it, I kind of want to go buy some tomorrow :) 
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/23/11 12:53 pm, edited 10/23/11 12:53 pm
Most nuts are great nutrition wise! I don't think any of them are off-limits.

Brazil nuts have lots of selenium.

Most would recommend waiting until month 3 or later, but I tried popcorn during my second month and it sat just fine. However, I knew I could tolerate corn products since cornmeal hot cereal was one of the first things I was able to eat. Some can't tolerate corn products early out,so it may not be too bad of an idea to test a teeny amount before eating a bit of popcorn.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

happydsr
on 10/23/11 1:15 pm
happydsr
on 10/23/11 1:17 pm
Kayla B.
on 10/23/11 1:49 pm - Austin, TX
I ate nuts pretty early on.  I found that I could eat a lot of them, and they were not very heavy in my stomach.  I ate pistachios first.

Any nut should be fine.  Read labels.  I'd stay away from anything honey roasted, glazed, sugar-coated, etc, if you are watching carbs.  Cashews don't seem to have as much protein as other options but I eat them anyways as they are one of my faves.  Almons, walnuts, peanuts, and pecans seem to be pretty good.  I still feel at 4 years out that I probably malabsorb the whole friggin' nut.  When I need a little bit of sweetness in my nuts, I make a mix of plain straight up nuts and throw in some of the pumpkin spice almonds, cocoa roast almonds, and/or butter toffee almonds if I can find them.  They are made with mostly splenda and stevia so sugar-wise they are not horrible, especially when mixed into a mix with healthier stuff.

Oh, and um, chew well.  Not well digested...and such a fact lead to an evil undigested nut particle contributed to scraping my rectum and giving me a fissure recently.  Arg.

I waited awhile on popcorn.  You may want to, as well, if popcorn seems to be a trigger to overeat.  It is for me.  It's salty and amazing and I seem to just eat handful after handful.  I've got no control, plus there's really no protein or anything and the fibery kernel and fat may flyyyy through you early out.  Stomach upset is possible, but you'll just have to play it by ear.   I know many DSers eat popcorn early out.

Ha...I can guess that the doctor will say that nuts will slow your weight loss.  Mine did.  I still eat pounds and pounds of nuts each week and I'm not as fat as I should be from eating so many nuts.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
NoMore B.
on 10/24/11 11:58 am
 So true about the doctors and NUTS saying that eating so many nuts would slow our weight loss.  It goes back to them not embarcing the fat malabsorption.  I used to literally eat JARS of nuts, bulk bags of pistachios, etc. every day for months while weight was flying off.
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/23/11 5:24 pm - Sedona, AZ
frankly I would create a list of new protein GO TO  snacks rather than look back to your old ways and try to reestablish old patterns. You might be disappointed not to be able to eat that big volume of popcorn now. When you do add it back you will be happy to be able to use a lot of butter on it tho! I don't think I have even had any popcorn since my DS 10 months ago.

I am trying to eat mostly food rather than shakes so I really dont have a lot of room. I have made the mistake of trying to go back to some old habits too, tho mine were sweets, and they just aren't working. Not only because of gas but they cause me to slow down my weight loss or even gain. I realize I have to find new ways that are in line with my goals. I didn't take this drastic step so I could slack off after!

You are not very far out yet to start experimenting too much but I have enjoyed nuts from early out. You might want to watch the quantity as they do have some carbs too.I eat walnuts for the Omegas mostly. I do nuts and cheese as snacks most days as GO TO proteins. I believe Becky here does popcorn quite often for the fiber so maybe she can chime in abour when she started that habit.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

August10
on 10/24/11 11:29 am - LA
 I eat nuts of all kinds (2.5 mos out).  I find them to be my favorite go to snack when I'm feeling hungry.  My favorites are cashews, pistachios, and peanuts.  I do get them still in the shell for the most part so I don't eat them by the handful.  Just remember, you are what you eat and DSers are almost totally nuts ;-)