For Vets - ? on Restriction After Two Years

NoMore B.
on 10/24/11 9:03 am
 Thanks, yup.  It sounds the same
Samaro ..
on 10/23/11 4:45 pm
I'm 4 1/2 years out and I still have A LOT of restriction.    I went out to dinner tonight and over the course of about 1 hour I ate a 6oz (pre-cooked weight) steak  and 2 bites of mashed potatoes.  This is pretty typical for me.

NoMore B.
on 10/24/11 9:04 am
 Glad to know there are some of us with that much restrtiction.  My brother, also a DS'r as me, same surgeon, can eat a ton more than I do.  
Janet P.
on 10/24/11 12:38 am
At almost 9 years post-op I feel sometimes I have no restriction at all. I can eat at least 6 ounces of protein, plus a small amount of sides (maybe 1/2 cup of starch and 1/2 cup of vegetables). For breakfast every day I eat 2 eggs, english muffin, cheese and bacon. To put it into perspective -- a 6-inch subway sub is perfect. If I eat a frozen meal for lunch (favorate is Marie Callendars) I can eat the whole thing and feel satisfied.

This is why I love my DS. I can eat this way and still maintain my weight because of the malabsorption.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

NoMore B.
on 10/24/11 9:05 am
 Janet
Were you able to eat that much years ago, or did you find that it just keeps increasing?  No way can I eat that much now, and I'm wondering if I will be able when I'm years out like you are.
Chad M.
on 10/24/11 1:10 am - Indianapolis, IN
We're about the same distance out and my experience with change (though not volume) has been about the same as yours. After I started to be able to eat well at about 3 months out, my capacity increased stedily (with a few very dramatic increases) through about the first year.

Sometime during this second year it has stabilized, and like you, I haven't had any change in restriction for 6+ months. I know several people have talked about an increase in capacity further out as well (2-3 year range) so we'll see.

At this point I can eat a steak that is somewhere around 8 to 12 ounces (depending on just how hungry I am) and part of an appetizer or side. Sometimes not though, and that's new for me. Friday night we went for BBQ. I could eat part of the pulled pork nachos we got as an appetizer but I was close to done after that. I couldn't eat all the brisket I ordered (usually I would be able to) and only a few of the cheese and bacon fries. I ate all the ones that had bacon on them though.
NoMore B.
on 10/24/11 9:07 am
 Chad,
You men - My brother, also a DS'er could eat that big of a steak, too.  No way could I.  

I also heard people say they still incease their capacity further out, which is what kind of has me worried.  I'm easily maintaining my weight now, but if I all of a sudden had the abilty to eat more, I'm sure I would.  
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 6:53 am, edited 10/24/11 6:56 am
NoMore B.
on 10/24/11 9:08 am
 Tara
We eat very similar stuff and amounts, good to know!

Like you, I have those bottomless pitt days, too.  I dont know what goes on in there!  Some days I can barely eat a few bites, and every once in awhile it's as if I never had surgery at all.  
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/11 7:42 am - Woodbridge, VA
I have my days - some days, I feel like a bottomless pit, and some days, I feel like I'm DONE after 3-4 chicken wings! It's really very individual and can even vary from day-to-day for the SAME individual!