For Vets - ? on Restriction After Two Years

NoMore B.
on 10/23/11 11:55 am
 It's hard for me to believe, but I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary.  I have a question for those of you further out.  Did you find that your restriction leveled off at a certain point, or did your stomach continue to stretch even this far out?

I'm asking because I remember reading that the sleeve reached maturity around 12-18 months.  I still have plenty of restriction, and I like it that way.  I was wondering how common it is for our stomachs to continue to expand, and what I can expect at this point.  I'm asking because a lot of you seem to be able to eat way more than I can.  I dont know if it's because our stomachs continue to stretch even after 2 years, or if it's because my surgeon is of the "longer CC, smaller stomach" camp and I'm just going to permanently have this tiny tummy.

FWIW, I've had the same amount of restriction for about the past 6-9 months - doesnt seem to be changing at all.
pktwatch
on 10/23/11 12:02 pm
I am certainly not a vet but your surgeon should be able to tell you what size stomach and how long of a common channel that you have. I ask my surgeon while I was still in the hospital and she told me.....I have a 3 OZ stomach and a 125mm common channel.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

NoMore B.
on 10/23/11 12:04 pm
 Thanks
Yes, I know exactly what I have, my question was to ask if people thought their stomachs continued to expand, even this far out from surgery.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/23/11 12:27 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Mine changed some after two years out, yes. I got amazing RENEWED restriction when I got my hernia repaired LOL (it was a huge hernia), but yeah, there was still some change after that.

NoMore B.
on 10/23/11 12:37 pm
 Thanks EN
I think I know what you mean with the hernia.  When I had my tummy tuck my stomach volume felt like it did when I was a new DS'er.

pktwatch
on 10/23/11 12:29 pm

What size is/was your stomach, was it a lot smaller than 3 oz? I don't know if what I got is normal but that is what Dr Inman gives everyone unless there are other problems.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

NoMore B.
on 10/23/11 12:35 pm
 My stomach was made with a 38f bougie, I would say for me it translates to about 3 oz maybe less.  It's hard to determine the size in ounces when the surgeons go by bougie size.  The bougie determines the diameter of the stomach, but people can have different lengths that can make the total volume different.  Also different surgeons might have different techniques of suturing the stomach closed making it tighter,  etc.

I have a 125CM CC like you do, too.  I'm happy with the amount of restriction I have now.  Early out I could barely manage a few bites before being too full.  Now I can have a small meal - for example some salad and maybe 4-5 ounces of steak.  

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/11 12:30 pm
I really can't answer your question because each surgeon seems to cut the stomach a little differently.

I can tell you that I started out with a 4-5oz stomach and I still have restriction at over 6 years out. 
The amount of restriction is about the same as I experienced at 2 years out and doesn't seem to be any less at this stage.

I usually cannot finish a whole sandwich at one sitting.  I can't eat very much pork, I have trouble with white chicken meat and am able to eat about 6-8 ounces of a well marbled steak.  When I eat said steak, I can only fit in two or three bites of any side dish.

I think it is great!!!

Michele
NoMore B.
on 10/24/11 9:02 am
 Thanks Michele

Sounds like you can eat a tad more than me, but not by much.  I cant finish a sandwich, I will usually take off the top, then put all the toppings plus a good portion of the bottom.

It totally depends on what it is. My experience is like yours - pork and chicken will stuff me silly, but I can eat a ton of carby stuff (like mac and cheese), which I dont do often.  If I eat carbs like that I just make sure I get plenty of fat in them to help fill me up and aid with the malabsorption.

I like the level of restriction I have, too.  I eat like one of those skiinny *****es I used to hate - you know, eat a bit of the meal and then proclaim myself full
J G.
on 10/23/11 4:10 pm
I eat your basic deck of cards protein serving and a small side dish. Occasionally its a slightly larger deck.  That's about what I ate at the 2 year point, also.