Fissure safe foods

DivaJojo
on 10/19/11 3:38 am - Atlanta, GA
Hello All;

haven't been on much lately as this dang fissure is ruling my life to degrees.  I'm kind of in limbo, not improving really, but not getting worse, except there are some really bad days every so often and I've kept my intake so limited, basically the same everyday that I'm not sure what causes the bad days.  I've accepted the fact that this is now chronic and I need to be ready for LIS, but that's not gonna happen til I'm off the Coumadin, so for now, I'm still focusing on doing everything I can to heal.

Which brings me to my question.  I need a refresher on food when dealing with a fissure.

I've found a good support forum online and it is a lot like here because they talk everything, ointments, pain control, living daily, surgery before during and after . . . everything.  There's a lot of stuff on there that I'm doing foodwise, but recognizing that my system is different, I know I need to modify even what I learn there.

Here's what I'm doing, primary focus on protein then focusing on fiber rich foods, incorporated benefiber, increased water and using miralax daily.  I'm still doing the soaks and nitro ointment.  I've increased my magnesium Oxide both for benefit of fluffy poo as well as it appears to reduce the muscle spasming.  I've upped my vitamin c (with bioflavinoids) and am taking b's with b6 and zinc.  I'm staying away from tomatos and tomato-based products, spicy foods, nuts and chips (though I do indulge in ranch flavored bugles a couple times a week and chew really well).  I've also started taking the generic prilosec to hopefully help reduce acidity and strength of what's coming out - wondering if that is hindering my progress.

Any suggestions specifically regarding food intake when dealing with a fissure from the experts?

Sorry to be repetitive, but I'm stalled and trying to feel my way.  Our digestive systems are such an individual thing anyway that walking this path is very trying.  Thanks for your input.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/11 4:06 am - Santa Cruz, CA
I haven't had to deal with a fissure problem myself, but I have found that eating half of a microwaved
yam or sweet potato with lots of butter is really good for keeping the stool soft and easy to move.

Good luck.
DivaJojo
on 10/19/11 4:43 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks.

Sarah_Anne
on 10/19/11 5:32 am
I had a fissure pretty much right out of surgery.  So very very painful.  It has healed but I still get terrible hemmroids. 

I found that avacados are the pefect DS anti-fissure food - very very high in fat AND fiber.  So its a two for one!  Add a little olive oil on top and you are good to go.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
Kayla B.
on 10/19/11 10:18 pm - Austin, TX
are you taking nifedipine as well?

Sorry about your issues :(

I got my very first fissure a week ago and pretty much wished for death instead of bowel movements!

Protein is still very important for proper healing, so please continue to get adequate amounts.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
DivaJojo
on 10/19/11 10:34 pm - Atlanta, GA
No I'm not taking nifedipine.  What is it?

Kayla B.
on 10/19/11 10:47 pm - Austin, TX
Diana Cox did a nitro cream and took nifedipine by mouth.  My GI prescribed nifedipine for topical use to relax the muscles.  She said she thinks it works a little better than nitro, but technically you can take both at the same time.

If you are still having problems relaxing the muscles with the nitro, maybe consider asking to add it?

It's normally a BP med.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
DivaJojo
on 10/20/11 6:08 am - Atlanta, GA
Hmmm, not sure if they'd put me on it since I'm on BP meds already and now coumadin til February.  But, I'll ask.

How are you coming along in your healing?

Kayla B.
on 10/20/11 6:16 am - Austin, TX
First 4 days were horrid.  Could barely walk, cried a lot, couldn't sit, throbbed, bled, wanted to die everytime I had to poop. LOL

I'm OK now (day 8).  Going to the gym really helped me relax the sphincter.  I dreaded going, but the difference in before and after was pretty significant.  I'm still bleeding and have sharp pains during BMs, but don't fear the bathroom anymore.  I don't shake uncontrollably afterwards anymore...haha.

I couldn't make it to the doctor until yesterday (1 week out), so I'm glad it finally let up.
Hendramy
on 10/20/11 1:51 am
It sounds like you're doing all the right things.  We've PM'd so you know I'm coming from a similar place.  I try to limit my eating, which isn't too difficult because I was scared to eat and scared to have a bowel movement.  You're onto something with the acid reducer.  I believe the irritation of the extra bile plays a big role in the inability to heal.  Try going on a strong dose of a PPI to limit acid.  Also, no raw veggies/fruits.  Cooked are ok in small amounts but the raw fruit especially will increase acid and in turn irritation.  Also, I have to go low fat at times because I get the slicks easily and that extra oil is irritating.  I eat very plain, lots of chicken.  Plain rotisserie is juicy and goes down well, but isn't as fatty as red meats. 
Also, no dairy. 

Are you on a probiotic?  Regulating the extra good bacteria in your gut is good for your poop as well. 
Amy
HW 324/ SW 303/ CW 172/ GW130