Has it really been 4 years already?

Mary_J
on 10/19/11 5:52 am
Yep, yep it has! 4 years ago today, I went through an 8.5 hour surgery to get the intestinal portion of the DS. For those who don't know, or don't remember, my story, I had a VBG in 1985, and a revision/repair in 1986. Because of the type of band used (Molina), and having 2 abdominal surgeries, I have seriously excessive adhesions in my abdomen, and on my stomach. I contacted several top-notch DS surgeons, and got the same answer - can't do the sleeve, but we can do an extended limb RnY. Nope, no thank you. I'll stick with what my original surgeon offered - the intestinal portion of the DS, leaving my stomach as is.

I'm 5' 5.5". My hospital weight was 326. I read normal BMI in 15 months. I made it to mid-range BMI, and my goal of 135 at 22 months. I had an upper body lift and a tummy tuck during year 2, making my lowest weight of record 126.8. I've since hovered between 131-134, pretty much regardless of my eating habits.

My labs have all been pretty 'acceptable' for most docs, but I've kept pushing to get them better. I had my 4 year labs done Monday, so I don't know how successful I've been, yet.

I still weigh just about every day - I don't pay it much heed, except Fridays . . . that's the day I make myself accountable by posting my current weight to a small group of friends, who also happen to be DS patients :)

I have no food issues, virtually no gas issues (except into the toilet every morning), no poop issues - not that I don't poop a lot, but that is totally a self-inflicted condition. IF I cut back on the amount of crap I eat (and I don't), my bowel habits would probably nearly a normie habit. But I'm fortunate in that I can eat anything - I mean absolutely anything, without issue or weight concern.

I do take a pile of supplements, and I wish I could find an easier way! But, I can't, so I take them. I'm post-menopausal, so the start of osteopenia on my last DEXA scan isn't pointedly a DS issue. That's the only issue I'm currently dealing with, but since my mother had it, I'd probably be dealing with it as a non-DSer.

I now wear a size 6 jeans (give or take a size, depending on the cut, style, brand) and I prefer to wear a large shirt, although I could wear a medium. The last 'dress clothes' I bought are a size 10.

The last photo I have is from 2 years ago, but I'm not even sure it's on my profile. Maybe after I post this, I'll see if I can find it (and if I remember how to upload one!)

I'm thankful to Tammy Bishop for pointing me to OH, and to the vets who got me here - you know who you are :)

Mary J
(deactivated member)
on 10/19/11 6:48 am
Awesome!

What a great job you have done, Mary!

Michele
Mary_J
on 10/19/11 6:53 am
Thank, Michele!

(Love the dog avie, but I'm glad I remembered WHO you were without the old picture I remember :) - that's now always easy, since I don't find much time to surg here anymore!)
J G.
on 10/19/11 4:38 pm
Michele, your avie makes me chuckle, too.  Is that doggie yours? 

Help me remember what your old avie was, please.   -Jenny
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 12:03 am
My oldest Avie was from 2006, so I updated to to the wrinkled version.

The cute dog was kind of a joke.  It sure was cute, though!
J G.
on 10/20/11 3:07 am
Ah ha!  The cute doggie picture reminded me of a pooch I used to have.
prettypixels
on 10/19/11 7:17 am
Wow, what an amazing success! Thank you for sharing this!
Mary_J
on 10/19/11 7:55 am
Thanks! I know I don't post much anymore, but life has seemed to get busier now - that's a good thing! But I remember being new to the forum and getting positive results from vets was really inspiring - so I wanted to do my part :)
MajorMom
on 10/19/11 7:27 am - VA
Happy surgiversary, Mary.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Mary_J
on 10/19/11 7:55 am