Will DS help with constipation issues?

mlleelise
on 10/18/11 3:25 pm
DS on 02/13/12
Hi everyone,
I have always suffered with chronic constipation. Colon cancer is the biggest killer in my family, so my gastroenterologist has put me on Miralax daily.  It has helped tremendously when nothing else has.
My question is this: If I have a revision to the DS, will this eliminate (no pun intended) my constipation problem?  I have heard so much about diarrhea problems after the DS, if simple carbs are eaten, but I wondered if the DS could also solve my constipation problem.
Thanks for the input.!
Yehuda G.
on 10/18/11 3:42 pm
There is no way to predict how your BMs will be affected. Some DSers like myself have completely normal BMs. However, others have issues from both extremes of constipation and diarrhea. So don't count on your constipation being cured. It may even get worse.
mlleelise
on 10/19/11 12:31 am
DS on 02/13/12
Thanks for your reply.  At least now I can control it, using the miralax as instructed everyday.  I had tried everything else - mainstream & otherwise - to no avail.  My gastroenterologist said he has never had a patient with such severe, lifelong constipation.  Each time I have a colonoscopy (which is every 3 years because of my family history), they always find 1 or 2 polyps.  So, if I have the DS and still have constipation, I will just continue to use the miralax.

Thanks for your input!
feeder3565
on 10/18/11 4:16 pm
It can for many. It has for me.

mlleelise
on 10/19/11 12:32 am
DS on 02/13/12
I hope it does for me, too!
Elizabeth N.
on 10/19/11 1:08 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's good that the Miralax works for you. You'll almost assuredly have to keep using it.

Has anyone ever given a reason for your constipation? IBS-C or anything like that?

For me, I am constipation prone. Almost NEVER have the opposite problem unless I'm sick. I don't poop every day, and I have to consume vast quantities of fat to keep the nice fluffy easy moving poop I like. Fortunately I love my fat so it's never a burden :-D.

mlleelise
on 10/19/11 2:04 pm
DS on 02/13/12
Doctors have given me different reasons: one was IBS-C, another is pelvic floor dysfunction...I guess having babies can do this to a woman.  THIS is what I think it is.  Without miralax, it is impossible for me to 'go,' sometimes for 5-6 days. My stomach would get so sore & full - it was so bad.  Until miralax, the only time I had relief was when I took Alli after having had some fat - or, like you, if I was sick with a stomach bug. 
I have been eating low-fat for so long, I can't even imagine enjoying butter - or cream in my coffee. I can not wait for a DS!! I sure hope I will get insurance approval.  Not sure how long it will take....