OT---Social Security Raise...what should I do with all this money?

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/18/11 3:09 pm - Tuvalu

I think I'll get $11 a month.  I should practice video poker so that I can drive to Las Vegas and spend four minutes on a video poker machine, huh?

I'd probably be better off with a couple of pounds of bacon.

Maybe I could split the difference and do two minutes of video poker and a pound of bacon?!?

provolisa
on 10/18/11 4:15 pm - Provo, UT
 I hadn't thought of the bacon... I was thinking of buying half the yarn I need to crochet a sweater.

... using the cheap acrylic yarn, of course!

We disabled people really should be ashamed, sucking the public dry and all, just because the doctors agree that we are too pathetic to do any type of work at all, for the rest of our lives!
We should pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, and get out into the workforce, to compete with all of those healthy young college graduates who can't even find a job at McDonald's...

Oops, I got started again. Sorry.
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/18/11 4:48 pm - Tuvalu
On October 18, 2011 at 11:15 PM Pacific Time, provolisa wrote:
 I hadn't thought of the bacon... I was thinking of buying half the yarn I need to crochet a sweater.

... using the cheap acrylic yarn, of course!

We disabled people really should be ashamed, sucking the public dry and all, just because the doctors agree that we are too pathetic to do any type of work at all, for the rest of our lives!
We should pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, and get out into the workforce, to compete with all of those healthy young college graduates who can't even find a job at McDonald's...

Oops, I got started again. Sorry.

My SS is not disabiity.  I get it because I'm OLD!!!

But...I am a victim of the Windfall Elimination Provision.  It works like this:

Identical twin sisters are registered nurses.  They go to work at the local community hospital and work there for twenty years, contributing to Soc Security the whole time.  Then, they both quit.  One gets married and goes home and raises babies.  The other decides to go to work at the local VA hospital (or state or county hospital, contributing to THAT retirement system instead of SS.)

They turn 65, and go to collect SS.   Even though they both worked at the community hosp for the same time and put the same money into SS, the one who never worked another day after the sisters quit will get her FULL social security and the one who went on to a second career and other pension system will have HER SS reduced by about $400-500 a month...because she had the NERVE to work for an agency that had a pension system.

The feds say that if the one who contributed to two pension systems gets to collect from both, it's a "windfall." 

The ones who suffer on this bit are MOST OFTEN firefighters and teachers and nurses and others who work for those agencies because they often have a lot of unpaid time off and second jobs.
Ann M.
on 10/20/11 12:36 pm - GA
Me no understand. I even took off my sock (only one since I can't find the other) to help me count.

Sigh. I actually do understand, just not agree. I hope I die before I get old.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/20/11 12:46 pm - Tuvalu

Just know that if you quit your current gig (assuming a private employer) and go to work in a VA Hospital or something, your SS will be reduced.  A lot.
Ann M.
on 10/20/11 12:49 pm - GA
And I hate that because I spent some time at the VA as a student and really enjoyed it. You can really make a difference there and people appreciate it.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

feeder3565
on 10/18/11 4:30 pm
Can you have a poker party at your house once a month and play penny-enny poker? 11$ in Penny's goes a long way, and I'll bring the bacon. Matter of fact all who comes needs to bring 2lbs of bacon in which you will freeze it. At the end of the year with penny-enny being played once a month and a 2lb fee of bacon you will have enough to engage in a yearly Bacon poker girls night out! Read'em and weep.      

provolisa
on 10/18/11 5:40 pm - Provo, UT
 Cal,

That WIndfall Elimination thing sounds about as sensible as the government docking my husband and my disability (we are both disabled) because we have the nerve to be married, and can supposedly live hundreds of dollars cheaper a month than an unmarried couple who are both disabled!

Makes my blood boil!
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/11 3:25 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Sadly, there are people who get divorces just for this reason, or just live together without benefit of clergy.

That's what we get for not buying our own politicians.
airbender
on 10/18/11 6:59 pm
bacon... of course