need some reassurance for hubby

honeybadger 11
on 10/18/11 7:37 am - FL
I was approved this past Thurs for surgery. I immediately started in with the self doubt. I've been able to keep most of it at bay myself  but my poor hubby is having a hard time.

He is super supportive and i think he is bottling some so as not to upset me. We will work through that on our own as im good at uncorking his bottle! :)

He's so afraid that i will die. Ive tried to reassure him with some facts but i was on here when Stephanie made a tragic mistake and picked an inexperienced surgeon. Of course i told him about it as we share everything. I probably should of kept this one to myself but it was really upsetting to me.

Im young, healthy besides my weight and have been under general anesthesia once before so I know I probably wont have a reaction.  

Please any postive words i can share with him (and myself) i would greatly appreciate it. I think it is so hard to elected to do a surgery that will save my life in the future when I really havent had any major issues with my MO so far. I know I need this and can't wait to be free of this cage.

Thanks!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Larissa P.
on 10/18/11 7:53 am - Denton, TX
The odds are with you. Maybe someone will come with cold, hard stats.

I'm glad he is supportive! Mine was too and man you cannot put a price on that.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
honeybadger 11
on 10/18/11 9:00 am - FL
Thank you for the kind words. Hes trying so hard and loves me so much! But this too will pass then it will be on to the crazy post op roller coaster!  ive done my best to prepare him about that also:)

~Jennifer

larra
on 10/18/11 8:33 am - bay area, CA
Stephanie had her revision with an inexperienced (with the DS) surgeon. Dr. Smith, on the other hand, has an excellent reputation and if anything picks his patients carefully and does a very thorough pre-op evaluation.
     While there are never any guarantees, you are in excellent hands.

Larra
honeybadger 11
on 10/18/11 9:06 am - FL
Thank you for adding the appropriate words to Stephanies situation...I dont know how he is as a surgeon but he was inexperienced as a DS surgeon esp. a revision.

Thank you, also, for saying again what ive told my hubs many of times. Dr. Smith is meticulous and conservative and if he picked me for surgery thats a good thing!

Having this support here at OH has been wonderful.  Thanks!

~Jennifer

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/18/11 9:02 am - Tuvalu
Smith was about the last to join the band-to-DS revision "program."  In the past, he would send patients out to have their bands removed...then make them wait three months...THEN he'd do the DS.

Given his emphasis on safety--and not wanting to find ugly surprises to deal with, my guess is that he wouldn't get near you with a ten foot pole if he thought he couldn't do a good job.

honeybadger 11
on 10/18/11 11:23 am, edited 10/18/11 11:34 am - FL
Thank you for the encouraging words:) Its sometimes nice to have such an anal surgeon...wasnt so great during the preop tests tho! I didnt think it would ever end! haha

edited for spelling:)

~Jennifer

momx4
on 10/18/11 9:13 am - TX
Hey there, I have no words of comfort because I feel the same way.  My husband isn't worried but I am.  I guess I have seen my share of tragedy......my brother died unexectedly when I was 21 and then my mom dropped dead when I was PG with son #1.....so I am a "IT CAN HAPPEN" type of gal.

I feel good about my surgeon but I wish he was more "vetted" if you know what I mean.  I also wish I wasn't going to be so far from home.  Only my husband and father know about this so far......and my dad is TOTALLY FREAKED.   I too, do not have an co-morbidities as of yet....which makes it seem more extreme......but I am certainly living in a "cage" as you put it.   We just returned from WDW and I couldn't fit on some of the rides....not to mention how my feet felt at the end of the day.......hopefully the next time I go to a theme park.....my kids won't have to worry whether "mom will fit" or not!!

god's blessings to us all!!
Kristi                
honeybadger 11
on 10/18/11 11:39 am - FL
I dont have kids that may drag me to an amusment park but there is NO way i could fit in a roller coaster ride. My butts almost as round as i am tall! haha

This thread has helped me so much. My worries have calmed more. We will get through this!:)

PS. i laughed at myself because i live in FL and it took me a minute to figure out what was WDW:)

~Jennifer

Northcountrygirl
on 10/18/11 10:10 am

My husband and I are very close and share everything also.  I had shared Stephanies passing with him back in August.  It was something we had in the back of our minds.  I had my surgery two weeks ago today.  The only advice I can give is have confidence in your doctor and in your own health.  You had to pass a battery of test to come this far.   For me I felt it was a leap of faith.  I was scared, but I just did it and I am so glad I did it.  I feel better everyday and I am down 15lbs.  I can see the door of my cage opening.  Hope this helps a bit. 

Melissa