Zinc a little low...

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/11 12:55 pm
I just got a copy of all of my labs from my one year testing.  Everything is on the high end of "normal", except my zinc.  It's flagged as low.  I'm taking two zinc pills (chelated) every day, in my first and second batches of vites.  Do I add another zinc with my third batch, or is zinc something to really worry about?  Is there such a thing as a sublingual zinc or a zinc injection?  I'm sure there's zinc in multi, too (centrum adult formula...sam's club brand multi).  I wonder if I took the zinc all by itself, if it would help?  I'm working for the next three days, so I'll post my full lab results on my days off.  Thanks, vets, for your advice on this! XOXOXO
MajorMom
on 10/17/11 7:32 pm - VA
I would try to separate zinc from the rest of your batches first and retest to see where you are next time.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/11 8:11 pm
Thanks, Gina!  I'll give that a shot and see what happens.
Kayla B.
on 10/17/11 9:55 pm - Austin, TX
Do I add another zinc with my third batch?
I would try separating it from other pills before adding another.  It can compete for absorption with a lot of other things.

is zinc something to really worry about?
Yes.  Has a lot to do with healing/immunity.

Taking too much copper can affect zinc.  They both have to be absorbed and "carried" by the same thing so if it's too busy carrying copper, it can't really carry as much zinc. 
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
(deactivated member)
on 10/17/11 10:07 pm
My zinc showed up a wee low as well (58 when the low end of the range is 60****ep it separate from copper too.  I *had* changed when I took it and added it to my first batch of vits that contain D, E and A instead of by itself with Ca and Mg. Looks like it's back to being taken by itself.

BTW, thanks to the vets and Vitalady's schedule, my D, E, K and A are holding steady at year and a half out smack dab in the mid ranges. Calcium is gorgeous. Had doc rerun PTH because it was left off..

I take (in separate batches!! See Vitalady's Schedule)
100k D3
50k A
400 IU E
1800mg Ca++
900mg  Mg++
2mg Cu
50 mg Zn
1mg K1
250mg K2
Proferrin 24mg

My only problem is low ferritin (wasn't run in this batch of vits because I had just gotten an iron infusion). It's still way higher than it was last year at this time!!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Tonya75
on 10/17/11 11:00 pm - IL
Hi There!

My Zinc had been low as well.

I was told to take 50mg of zinc daily. I am doing well now.
DS Surgery 11/23/09
Tonya