sick for the first time - 4 weeks out... normal?

Kristen R.
on 10/18/11 6:49 am
Hi All.

I'm 27 days out from my DS, and got so sick for the first time this morning.  It seems strange to me that I didn't have any issues at all the first 3 weeks, but this last week, I've been getting nauseous when I take my 3rd round of vitamins.  This morning was the first time I actually threw up, and I threw up for 4 hours after my morning meds, and 1/2 a scrambled egg with some cheese.  Now I'm feeling dehydrated, but slowly getting some water down.  While I was getting sick, my body just poured sweat, even though I was cold... which I'm sure didn't help with hydration!

Did anyone else have this problem... where things were going great at first, then nauseousness started?  I'm worried about not getting all my vitamins in, especially since I don't have that many to take right now.  I only take vitamins 4 times a day... A, D, Dr. Stewart's Multi in the morning... then calcium, then another multi, then calcium again.  I'm just scared to death to take anything else right now because I don't want to get more dehydrated than I already am!  But then, I'm scared to NOT take the rest of my vitamins, or get in my protein today, too!

Is it all right to just focus on water for the rest of today?

KarenFlorida
on 10/18/11 8:42 am - Orlando, FL
I'm no vet here, but I wanted to give you some feedback based on my knowledge.

Missing your vitamins for one or two days is not going to kill you, especially at 3 weeks postop...just remember to get back on track in a day or so once you are feeling better.

The same goes for protein. Skip it until you are keeping the water down with no problem. Staying hydrated is the most important in the short term. If you can't keep fluids down soon, you might need to go to the ER and get IV fluids. You are still a fresh postop and it's tough to catch up once you get dehydrated.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

M. Miller
on 10/18/11 9:04 am
 Do you still have your gall bladder?  Sounds sneakingly familiar to the gall bladder attacks I had before I had it taken out.  I have not had WLS yet, but I thoughtI would through that out after having experienced it (and still  remembering it....that pain and feeling was worse than childbirth)
kim1967
on 10/18/11 9:15 am
Hey Kristen!
I had the DS a little over 2 years ago and about a week or so after my surgery nausea hit big time.
They tried me on all sorts of meds, even some med that is given to patients who are taking chemo to help control the  nausea and that didnt even help.
about a month and a half into it and half dead(well maybe not quite that bad, but it was bad) Someone told me me to try Zantac 150 twice a day. within 2 days I saw a huge improvement.
Cant guarantee that will work for everyone but it sure did for me.
I wish you lots of luck and sure hope you dont get as sick as I did.
There was actually a day when I remember sitting here thinking this is it, Im really going to die...but now WOW I love my DS!!
I have lost over 200lbs(have gained a few back from pure laziness) but believe me once you get over this hump the best is yet to come!!!!
no_more_rolls
on 10/18/11 2:21 pm - Jackson, MI
It could be normal, but there are some varying factors.  

1.) A lot of people have a hard time tolerating the yolk in the eggs, which can make you sick.  Remember you are still a new DSer.  Is that the first time you are egg or cheese?  In the beginning I got sick from eggs and cheese, even if I ate them separate.  It may make you sick one time and not bother you at all the next.

2.)  How much volume did you take in?  You said you were taking your meds with eggs and cheese.  Did you drink with that too?  Too much volume will make you vomit...especially early out.  I also did that.  The way you described how you felt was often how I would feel if I became ill.

3.)  Did you use a lot of butter/oil to prepare your eggs or was the cheese greasy?  Greasy foods early out made me sick...sometimes they still do, it just varies on the day.

Mark your calendar on days you vomit, along with what you ate/drank.  This information will be helpful to you (and your surgeon's office if needed) to know what kinds of foods to use in moderation and gradually introduce to your diet.  If the nausea and vomiting continue call your surgeon's office and ask for an anti-nausea med like zofran or phenergan.  

If you are not already on one, ask you surgeon for a ppi (proton pump inhibitor) or acid reducer like prilosec, etc.  Not everyone needs these, but many surgeons routinely prescribe these to patients post-op.  

Lastly if you have any abdominal pain, fever, or can not use the bathroom contact your surgeon's office immediately.

Remember you are still healing and your new tummy is small...go slow!  Sip, sip, sip and watch for body signals like your nose running or salivating if you are taking in too much volume and didn't feel it.  You can not eat as fast as you used to, especially early out.  

Hope you feel better soon!  

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

AllieInOntario
on 10/19/11 10:23 am
I had some barfing issues the first 2 months.  Mine was mostly over feeding.  I had one unexplained heave, but I chalked it up to a grumpy new stomach.  Haven't had an issue over the last month.  And yeah, needing/wanting/feeling like you're going to heave makes ya feel awful.  I even forced a heave 2 times, felt instantly better.  

My best advice, sugar free popsicles, or freezies.  They're worth their weight in gold for times like this.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

Kristen R.
on 10/19/11 11:12 am, edited 10/19/11 11:12 am
Hi Karen,

Thank you!  I was worried about the vitamins and protein, but I appreciate you affirming that those are secondary to hydration.  I have gotten a lot of fluids in today and a couple of rounds of vitamins.  Slowly starting to feel hydrated again.  Hoping I'll be able to get back to all protein and vitamins by tomorrow!

Hi Shona,

Thank you!  I had my gallbladder out about 2 years ago.  I remember feeling pretty awful, like a constant heartburn, before it came out.

Hi Kim,

Thank you!  I might try the Zantac.  I'm taking Prilosec now, but anything that can help me from being that sick again, I'm willing to try!  Congratulations on your weight loss, that is AWESOME!!

Hi Roxy,

Thank you!  I've had mixed luck with eggs, so I've been trying them about once a week.  String cheese has been my safest food so far.  So I think I'll just stay away from the eggs!  I don't drink with meals because the nurse told me that I shouldn't (that it would make me sick).  I think I had about 2 ounces of water before I ate, and got down about 1/2 the egg and cheese.  I stay away from greasy foods for sure, because they've always given me problems!  Thank you for the tips on recognizing fullness and monitoring intake.  It's hard for me to tell still, when I've had enough (or more), but I definitely notice that I start salivating more, and occasionally, especially in the mornings, get that runny nose going.  Thank you for your help!

Hi Allie,

Thank you!  I know what you mean about forcing the heave sometimes!  Sometimes I'd much rather feel the relief, too.  This time, though, I was throwing up for hours, long past the point where there was anything at all in my stomach!  Digging into those SF popsicles tonight for sure!

Thank you all for your advice and responses.  I was so freaked out after hours of being sick, and so worried about getting in enough water afterwards!

Kristen
pawmetto.on.cloud.

on 10/19/11 12:43 pm
I agree with the zantac... just before I hit my one month, I went two days with not being able to take anything in, which ended me up in the hospital and after all the test were done it was shown that I had gastritis, which after all said and done, they upped my nexium and with fluids and some nutritional help while is was in the hospital to jump start my system again I am just like new...  and feeling so much better