how much time between 30g of protein?

naruto
on 10/17/11 11:57 pm
hello

how much time/gap should there be between the 30g of protein shakes / meals? as we can absorb only 30g at a time. i've heard 3 different versions: there's 3 hours, 2 hours, and half an hour?

Renfairewench
on 10/18/11 12:24 am
I usually wait about 90 minutes to two hours.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

scoob
on 10/18/11 12:24 am - Somerset, KY
Can't answer your question matter of factly but from what I have read most people eat any where from 1 and half to every 2 hours. Thats what I do. Some times longer in between but usually by 2 hours I'm hungry. I don't eat a lot but I eat when my body tells me it's time. I have never had a problem eating my protein. Hope this helps!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

rubytica
on 10/18/11 12:54 am - GA
can you have a protein shake (30g) with your breakfast (eggs and ham) or would that mean that we don't absorb all the protein we just ate/drank?

thanks
Ruby
scoob
on 10/18/11 1:05 am - Somerset, KY
Like I said, I don't know for sure but if it were me I'd wait at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours. That's why some people say they have 2 breakfasts. A good person to ask is Gina (Majormom). She does the daily bites and vites thread. I'd break them up by 90 mins if it were me though. Hope this helps!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/11 2:22 am
There are no peer-reviewed papers that verify the statement that we only absorb 30g of protein at a time. From my nutritional paper searches, it's either a myth or a poor-supported statement.

Hugs,
Ratkity
elixir
on 10/18/11 4:23 am - MI
Since we malabsorb half the protein we consume I don't think it should be a problem. I have two double scoop shakes at least twice a day which end up being almost 50 grams of protein a pop. If I'm only absorbing half then I'm really only absorbing 25 grams. My labs showed that my protein was good. I try to eat every two to three hours, but I don't really think that you are wasting protein if you get in more than 30 grams.

Also, I'm not sure how valid the theory is that we only absorb 30 grams at a time. I read some place else that we absorb 50 grams at a time. Who knows what it really is... and I suspect that it may vary from person to person anyway. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor