Think I have a stricture

J J the Jet Plane
on 10/17/11 11:30 am
I see my surgeon in the morning, but if you have had one- advice.

Im pretty miserable.
JJ
Jolly Rancher
on 10/17/11 12:11 pm
If nothing is staying down, including liquids, it is very likely a stricture. Try to get into an endo asap. A scope with a balloon will help open the tightening and give you pretty immediate relief. Keep in mind, it could be a stubborn stricture and you may have to go through this procedure a few times. It's very simple, quick and painless. I actually had a scope without sedation and it was no issue.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Diane Davis
on 10/17/11 12:26 pm
How weird is that JJ, I just talked with my surgeon's office today, and my DS surgeon wants to do the scope on me herself.  They are going to be calling me with a date.

Prayers for us both!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Chad M.
on 10/18/11 4:18 am - Indianapolis, IN
Diane, I didn't know this was still going on. I hope things go well for you. Please keep me posted!
Larissa P.
on 10/18/11 2:49 am - Denton, TX
I had a really bad one. I was ballooned 4 times, and finally they literally had to cut around the stricture. Good luck, I UNDERSTAND your misery sooooo much! Feel free to message me with any questions.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Chad M.
on 10/18/11 4:17 am - Indianapolis, IN
I had a very bad one. Mine was caused by scar tissue building up and constricting my intestines.

How I knew or was pretty sure I had one: Nothing would stay down. Everything nauseated me. At two weeks out I vomited a small meal of very tender chicken breast. I vomited every day for the next two weeks. It was literally driving me crazy. I questioned whether I made the right decision to have the DS and whether things would ever get better.

Most strictures, as I understand it, can be resolved with endoscopy. Mine could not and in the end I had a second surgery to correct it. It is unlikely that you would need that but be prepared.

In the end things got much, much better. The first few months were very rough for me, but I came through, and now I have no problem eating or drinking anything, nor keeping anything down. There are good times ahead for you. Hang in there!
Imissthe80s
on 10/18/11 4:47 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
I may have asked this before, but how common are strictures after the DS? 

Feel better JJ!

Larissa P.
on 10/21/11 5:24 am - Denton, TX
I don't think it has to do with the DS. It just has to do with surgery on the innards. Can happen to other surgeries, too. Basically the body over-heals and causes so much scar tissue it closes off or strangles the stomach or intestines.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
MsBatt
on 10/21/11 7:59 am
On October 18, 2011 at 11:47 AM Pacific Time, Imissthe80s wrote:
I may have asked this before, but how common are strictures after the DS? 

Feel better JJ!
There are different kinds of strictures. The kind Chad had could occur to anyone, any time, but is more common following abdominal surgery---of any kind. The kind Larissa had is *probably* directly related to how the Sleeve is done.

Back when I was a newbie here, stomach strictures in DSers were virtually unheard of. In the past 3 years or so, I've seen quite a few of them. *I* think this is because of a trend toward making the Sleeve smaller, even with the 'full' DS. I also think the smaller sleeve accounts for the higher rate of post-op GERD I've noticed.

You might want to discuss sleeve size with your surgeon BEFORE you go under the knife.
Imissthe80s
on 10/21/11 8:18 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Thanks for your input Larissa and Ms. Batt! Ms. Batt, I can't think of anything that I won't end up asking BEFORE I go under the knife, don't worry!