Wellbutrin question....

AllieInOntario
on 10/16/11 11:06 pm
I'm on a small dose of Lexapro and need a bump up.   What my doc and I have discovered... is that stupid Ontario/Canada, -  we don't get regular non SR or XL release.   I did respond well to them in the past, so I don't want to go to another Anti D if at all necessary.

Has anyone here who's had the DS done ok with the SR (sustained release)? I'm assuming that's better for us than the old XL which made my stomach feel a bit too full at times.  

Help... I'd like to get this straightened out with my doc to'row. 

Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

Elizabeth N.
on 10/17/11 12:32 am - Burlington County, NJ
I use Wellbutrin SR just fine.

_Leslie_
on 10/17/11 1:31 am - Franklin, WI
my doc put me on the SR ones... but she lowered the dose just a bit... but increased the # of times I take it throughout the day

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

KarenFlorida
on 10/17/11 3:57 am - Orlando, FL
I have taken both pre-op and both worked fine. The XL makes me feel nauseous postop, but the SR seems to work. I take the SR once a day.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

PatXYZ
on 10/17/11 4:44 am
Just a second... Lexapro (Escitalopram, SSRI) and Wellbutrin (Bupropion, atypical anti-depressant) are not the same drug - which are you looking for advice on?
AllieInOntario
on 10/17/11 5:38 am
Pat, my Lexapro isn't "quite" enough, so we want to again amplify it with Wellbutrin SR, so that I can try to get rid of the sleepy feeling and lack of libido the Lexapro does to me. 

So short answer, just the Wellbutrin SR, and from the answers here, worth a try ... thanks everyone.

Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

_Leslie_
on 10/17/11 6:11 am - Franklin, WI
I'm on the Wellbutrin SR in conjunction with Prozac... good combo for me

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

PatXYZ
on 10/17/11 7:57 am
Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I happened to be stopping at my pharmacy one the way home and spoke to the pharmacist. She said that if there were issues about absorption, you could split the SR in half for a stronger and quicker dose but as this reduces the half life of the drug you would need to take it more often. However, you can't split the XR and you can't completely crush either of them. Ask your doc and pharmacist about the split SR option.