Stupid Question-feel free to bash!

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/11 4:20 am

I just had a 6 month doctor visit - actually PA - after two years, your checkups are with the PA unless you have a problem.  I was just informed of this during my visit.

Is it really possible for a DSer to get *too* much protein?

No new labs back yet, but the PA was aghast at my protein intake. I do  200-250 g daily to get 100-125g, based on the average for protein absorption (50-60%).

I'm just thinking the PA is in RNY mode.  I really wish everybody(medical professionals) would get on the same page in terms of what's average and what's not!  It drives me batty sometimes!

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/14/11 4:36 am - Sedona, AZ
I dont have an  answer but I thought it was 100-125 grams before malabsorption?? but of course it depends on your labs for everyone . .

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/11 4:55 am
zuzu-

I've never been reamed out for my protein intake before.  
A & D deficiencies early out, but never protein. Never had any indiction of kidney problems from too much protein which I know can happen, and that's what the PA was basing her objection on - told me I was going to ruin my kidneys. 

I'm looking for my binder...haven't been able to find it since I moved...I know I packed it with my books, but I still can't find it!  Most of what I do daily is comitted to memory now, anyway.

Perhaps I'll back up a bit, but I feel fine, no lab issues, and have had no ill effects..,but then again, I tend to be more malabsorptive than average, even with a 75 cm CC.   Perhaps she didn't comprehend that.
M. Miller
on 10/14/11 4:53 am, edited 10/14/11 4:54 am
 For non WLS people the average protein requirements are 40-70 grams a day depending on weight, age and gender (just saw dietician for pre op insurance requirement today, and this is one of the questions I asked).   So it seems to me once you have undergone a malabsorption surgery like DS you should be eating 100-125 grams a protein a day to acheive the 40-70 grams.

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/11 5:00 am
I think you should go by your labs.  All my protein markers got saggy when I was getting in 100 - 125 gms per day.  They are ok now @ 150+grms a day. 

DSer's are very different depending on how the surgeon did the DS, common channel, etc so I would not recommend an across the board amount. JMO

Michele
DianaRR
on 10/14/11 5:27 am - CA
I think you are doubling up on your protein. This is from dsfacts on the protein page http://www.dsfacts.com/protein.html:

"It has been estimated that Duodenal Switch patients' malabsorb 40% of their protein intake. As a result surgeons generally recommend a daily protein intake of 80-120 grams to their post-op patients. [41-43], [51]"

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/11 6:05 am

I've been doing this since my first set of post op labs came back, and I was in PCM.  Doc did some digging and determined that I was hypermalabsorptive. 

I think the PA just scared me a little, which had me doubting myself.   Because of lupus, my kidney function is checked more often than my DS labs, and I've had no issues
pycca
on 10/14/11 8:21 am - Haslet, TX
As long as your labs are in good range for a DS'r and you are drinking  plenty of fluid, urine output is pale yellow,,,,

I think you are good to go...  go by my labs.. and yes I do eat about the same as you..  As long as your labs are good with the lupus,,

THink she was freaking out on you ! LOL
DianaRR
on 10/14/11 9:11 am - CA
As long as your kidney function is being well monitored and you have no problems, I don't think there is anything else that protein might mess up.
I'm glad you've had no issues with it.

Kayla B.
on 10/14/11 10:14 am - Austin, TX
I don't even know that excess protein causes kidney disease in the first place.  Not that it doesn't--I really don't know.  I thought it was just a good idea to limit to those people that already had kidney disease from other things...usually diabetes, longstanding high BP, etc.

Anyways, I have no idea.

I've read some things that a high protein diet could be really high in phosphorus and might cause some bone disease.  Seemed like there was more info about that than kidney disease when I went looking.

For fun, assuming that excess protein caused...whatever random disease...could a DSer get too much?  Sure.  Everything about us it the same after the food gets absorbed.  So if we were able to eat that much food or drink that many shakes, we could really get in a lot of protein.  Whether it matters or not is what I'm not sure of...
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg