Lap Band to DS Revision, Dr. Paul Kemmeter Questions

VelvetKiss
on 10/15/11 6:12 am, edited 10/15/11 6:14 am - Broadview Heights, OH
I had originally chosen Dr. Rabkin, but found I could not have surgvery with him with my insurance or self pay.  I was going to use Dr. K since he is about a 10 hour drive from me.  I started to worry about my support after surgery, which would not be good and thought about going to my family in Ohio.  I saw that Dr. Paul Kemmeter is a vetted DS surgery and not too far from my family and I was thinking it would be easier on me to have more support and financially.because I could recoup and my families home.   I searched and could not find out if Dr. Paul Kemmter does revisions from Lap Band to DS and if he accepts patients who have High BMI's.  Does anyone know?  I know he accepts my insurance which is medicare.  Does he charge a program fee?  Do you know if he does revisions open or lap.  Any information would be helpful.  
larra
on 10/15/11 6:49 am - bay area, CA
Dr. Kemmeter has a great reputation. He does do revisions of other operations to the DS, but I can't answer your other questions. Hopefully his patients will be along soon.

Larra
VelvetKiss
on 10/15/11 7:42 am - Broadview Heights, OH
Thanks Larra, I have noticed Dr. Kemmeter has a good reputation, which is why I am hoping it might be an option.
Carol P.
on 10/15/11 11:37 am
 I don't know about revisions, but all of his other surgeries are lap.
Julie R.
on 10/15/11 11:39 am - Ludington, MI
 Dr. Kemmeter is an excellent surgeon.   I'm a bit biased though, LOL.   I was his twelfth DS.   Now he has done many hundreds.
I'm pretty certain that he does lapband to DS revisions.   I know he does his DS's lap, and that laparoscopic surgery is his technique of choice.

When I had my DS five years ago, I had to pay only about $600 out of pocket.   Others who have had their surgery more recently than me might have more updated information.

Good luck to you!    
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

lk1970
on 10/15/11 1:28 pm
Dr Kemmeter has done a band to DS revision on a friend of mine... you'd be in great hands... but I too am biased! I have every faith in Dr K... Please let me know if you'd like more info on his program.... Best wishes!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

VelvetKiss
on 10/15/11 2:27 pm - Broadview Heights, OH
Thanks Julie and lk970, it is nice to hear that so many people think highly of him and who have had surgery with him.  Julie the out of pocket doesnt sound too bad, even if it is more now.  I was prepared to pay Dr. K's $4000 program fee.  lk970 I would  like mroe information on his program, thank you for offering.  Sounds like Dr. Kemmeter is a good choice and a viable option for me and it would put me much closer to family and that is support I need.

meredith_123
on 10/15/11 10:46 pm - Waterford, MI

He just did my DS about a month ago.  So far, it's gone so smoothly, he's a great surgeon, I'm very happy. 
Mine was a virgin DS, but I know he does almost all his surgeries lap.
As far as fees go, it depends on your insurance.  My insurance required a $1,000 co-pay.  I didn't pay any program fee though.  They do make you do a 2 week pre-op and 2 week post op diet on products from their store.  I got lucky and a very nice lady I met here donated a bunch of her extras to me, so my cost for the month of food was about $145.  I think to buy all of it is about $300, it veries based on which products you select. 
I would recommend calling them to get more info, they are very nice and helpful there.

5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
VelvetKiss
on 10/16/11 12:25 am - Broadview Heights, OH
Thank you for the information it was very helpful.  All that doesnt sound to bad and I too have an insurance copay, but I was looking for anything after that such as a program fee.  I will contact his office. 
chspan
on 10/16/11 4:48 am
The program fee is 500$ and the food cost about 250 for two weeks depending on what you get..so your total would be 750 they project..then of course you would have to pay whatever your insurance would want you to pay. Yes, I believe he does revisions, and yes he will operate on patients with higher BMI's as he assisted in my surgery...I have known several people though (myself included) that they could not do the surgery in one part and wanted to break it into two parts..so I think that is decided on case by case basis. I highly recommend him and GHP overall.