***Friday Bites, Vites & Exercites***

pktwatch
on 10/15/11 11:02 am, edited 10/15/11 11:05 am

I am just a little over 3 weeks out of surgery and seem to be doing great........But I want your input about protein drinks.

On an normal day I get up and start my meds about 8AM. By 8:30 to 9AM I am eating breakfast. Most times it is one scrambled egg with a half a slice of American cheese. I take my Calcium with my meals, a lot of the time I have the 2 pills soaking in a small amount of milk and mix it in with food but lately I have been breaking the tabs in half and just taking them.

Around 10:30AM I take half of my multi Vites and D3's.

After that I make at least a one scoop protein drink but for the last few days I have made 2 of them.

Lunch is usually 1:30PM I am only eating a ounce of protein and a ounce of a side but a lot of the time I have taco meat and refried beans so there is protein in both dishes. Again Calcium at lunch time.

Around 5PM it is time for more vites and D3's. After them It is protein drink time again, one or sometimes 2 drinks.

Dinner is 8PM and is something like lunch With Calcium again.

Most days bed time is 11:30PM, most days I get a nap between lunch and dinner but I still seem tired a lot of the time.

Here is my question. Since I started taking more protein I did not loose near as much weight this week, I did loose 6 pounds. In the first 10 days out of the hospital I lost 20 pounds. I looked up a few things from the labels of the "Lactaid Milk" and the GNC Pro Performance protein:

Per drink from both sources I get 250 calories per drink.   there are 14 G of sugars.   There are 29 G of Protein per drink.
  If I am drinking 4 drinks a day that is 1000 calories per day just in these drinks. 56 G of Sugars per day and 116 G of protein per day.

Would I be better off mixing the protein with water to eliminate some of the sugars?
  Keep in mind that I am only eating 2OZ of food per meal, am I taking to much protein for this early out? I have seen the 30-60-90 rule but figure more is better if you can do it. However I don't want to do this at the expense of taking advantage of my big weight loss months.
  Thoughts?

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

MajorMom
on 10/15/11 8:42 pm - VA
The 30-60-90 rule is for folks who are trying to go without protein shakes, so if you can do 116 grams of protein now you're doing great. Keep doing what you're doing.

Keep in mind that that first week was a lot of water weight so you won't be seeing that kind of drop again. Lactaid does have a lot of sugar so you may want to see if you can find low carb almond or soy milk. Check the labels. Or, if you can stand the taste of a water based protein shake, all the better.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

scoob
on 10/15/11 11:24 am - Somerset, KY
Did Saturdays first but here's Friday's!

B- 2 eggs over easy, WW Toast smothered in butter, slice ham
S- Peanuts
L- Turkey Slices with cheese
S- 2 beef steak jerky's
D- 2 chicken thighs
S-popcorn smothered in butter
S- Peanut butter
S- Bunless Whopper with cheese

All Vites
All Fluids
walked 1 mile

Ruby