How long will it take me to make myself REALLY sick? Vitamin D question. x-post

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/14/11 2:58 am - Tuvalu

One works and the other doesn't!  lol

I don't know enough to explain it.  APPARENTLY, D2 will--if we treat it nicely--turn into D3, which is what humans need.  But malabsorbers don't "treat it nicely."   Or something like that.

hollyweasel
on 10/14/11 3:10 am - MI
Don't take this the wrong way, but last I checked you and your insurance PAY the doctor here, not vice versa.

I would say find a new doctor, one who is well versed in DS needs -  your surgon or other people on here should be able to help.

Don't forget no matter who went to med school - money is the ultimate vote in her intellegence.

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

beemerbeeper
on 10/14/11 3:17 am - AL
Just to muddy the water.  In some places you can't FIND an endo at any cost.  I need one to follow me for thyroid issues and there isn't one within a 2 hour drive that will take my Medicare.

So she may (or may not I have no idea) not have a lot of choice in endos.

But I still wouldn't take the oil based D.

~Becky

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/14/11 3:35 am - Tuvalu
I can find lots of them...with offices full of Type II Diabetics.  It's a growing problem and the "smart" ones are specializing.
beemerbeeper
on 10/14/11 4:02 am - AL
Well Tuvalu is not East Bumblefuck Alabama.  The endos here are also full of TTDs but aren't taking new Medicare patients.

So I'm pretty much SOL for my thyroid.

~Becky

Julie R.
on 10/14/11 8:21 am - Ludington, MI
 The closest endo to me is about 90 miles away.    I'm taking the four hour drive to Ann Arbor (The University of Michigan) on Monday to see an endo doc.    They have a post-bariatric clinic that specializes in vitamin D/calcium issues.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

beemerbeeper
on 10/14/11 8:25 am - AL
Julie,

4 hours ONE way?  Dear Lord. 

Maybe you can get some literature to help Sue? 

I look forward to your report.  I hope they are great.

~Becky

Julie R.
on 10/14/11 8:31 am - Ludington, MI
 I hope so too, Becky.     I figured I'd go right to the top this time.
Ann Arbor, is a rockin' town - a cool college town with lots of great shops and ethnic restaurants.    DH is going with me, and we're leaving tomorrow afternoon.    My two daughters and parents are also within an hour of there too, so we'll have some nice family time.    

I hope they can help me.    My PTH is now up to 198, my calcium has dropped way down (7.8) but my D has gone up to a whopping 37.    All signs right now point to a severe vitamin K deficiency.   I've been taking K for almost a year, but obviously not nearly enough.   If that's the case, this just MAY be an easy fix.    Keep your fingers crossed.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

beemerbeeper
on 10/14/11 8:59 am - AL
Oh Julie.  I had no idea your PTH got that high.  I hope these docs can help you and fast.

And I'm glad you can get some family time out of the trip.  That sounds great.

~Becky

Kayla B.
on 10/14/11 9:13 am - Austin, TX
Did you make a post about your labs?  did you get your dexa scan back?

I worry about you and my inquiring mind wants to know! 

Serum calcium or ionized?  what's your albumin?  Vitamin K?  Osteocalcin?

This is actually very interesting.  I feel like at one point a little while ago I read something about vitamin K being a cofactor in vitamin D metabolism or activation or something.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg