Just another boring noob question fest....

Twyla S.
on 10/13/11 11:56 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Okay, so my six month diet is up in two weeks.  Everything I've been able to locate with my records has been turned in.  Now I'm kind of stuck in DUHHHHHH land.  Not sure what is supposed to happen next, and did I mention I HATE surprises?  Please bear with me.....several of these questions I've TRIED to research, and some just may pop into my head as I go along.

1.  I have gas retention problems now.  I mean,, you can poke me with a pin and I'd probably fly all over the southeast.  After the surgery, will this get worse, better, or stay the same?  GasX is my best friend as of now.

2.  Do surgeons give you a choice as to how big you can have your common channel or do they make the decision?

3.  As I've stated before, somehow my pcp's office cannot find the records from 2007, which from what I gather, tenncare requires.  I asked my pcp today about it, and she asked if she could send a letter with the information, that yes, they had seen me in 2007, that the records cannot be found, but that I have had an ongoing weight issue during that time.  What chance do you think that might have in the process, if any, in lieu of no official records?

4.  I absolutely HATE feeling nauseous....is that a common problem after the surgery?  I realize that I'll probably have some with pain meds and such, but just as a rule, is it a common problem?

5.  What exactly do I need to start gathering up now to prepare?  Not very clear at all about the vites and the shake and food stuff that are essential.  Not asking for a grocery list, just a general basic list.

6.  Last one for now (I heard that chorus of Hallelujahs!)  I'm really worried about the COPD and how that will go in the surgery.  Does anyone know any information or have experience with this?  I've googled it a few times and never find what I'm looking for.

Sorry about the long post.....I've just been mulling this stuff over the last few days...
beemerbeeper
on 10/13/11 12:03 pm - AL
Hey Twyla,

1. The gas will be the same or worse and gas-x will not help.  Are you having open or lap surgery?  Who is your surgeon?

2.  Some do, some don't.

3. Dunno, but I hope it works out.

4. I had nausea the first 12 hours but none after that.

5.  Now you can get your protein up.  You can start or increase your exercise.  You can get pre-op labs and get your deficiencies up.  You can get the vites on VitaLady's list but you won't be on them until you build up to them over the first few weeks post-op.  Get a back scratcher to take to the hospital.

6.  Dunno.  Sorry.  Are you an ex-smoker? 

~Becky

Twyla S.
on 10/13/11 1:31 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 Well I'm a dedicated carnivore, so I doubt I have ANY deficiencies in that dept., but will have it checked anyway.  I'm not able to walk much due to my knees and hips being SHOT, but I do try to do those isometric thingys with my upper body.  From the waist up, I'm more muscular than most men, waist down.....I just suck.

I'm hoping to be an ex smoker over the weekend.  I've been cutting down drastically by using those Ecigs, and they really help---they've brought me down from about 2 packs a day to about 4 or 5 cigs a day....so this weekend, I'm going to try and do it with just the fake cig.  Wish me luck....or rather, wish anyone AROUND me, luck! LOL

Oh yeah....I'm going for Dr. Hugh Houston in Nashville, I don't know if it will be lap or open yet....I have different concerns with each.  Since my diet is now almost on the books, I'm hoping my approval and consult with him will be soon.  I'm bipolar.....I gotta go when I'm on the uphill swing....
beemerbeeper
on 10/14/11 1:26 am - AL
Twyla,

I quit smoking in order to have this surgery too.  And I have never been so glad of anything.  I was in the docs office 3-4 times a year with bronchitis, needing antibiotics and breathing treatments and feeling awful.  I've only had ONE cold in two years since I quit smoking!!

I was a 30 year smoker who had tried and failed to quit many times.

I went to about.com's smokers forum and posted on there like crazy.  That helped me tons.  I used both nicotine replacement systems:  the gum and the patch.

I quit smoking on June 3, 2009. 

You can do this.  I'm behind you 110%.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 12:18 pm
1. Could get better, mine did.

2. I discussed it with my surgeon, but he used the Hess method and I was good with that. I preferred it actually.  Talk to your surgeon.

3. I don't know the answer to this one.

4. Discuss this with both your surgeon and the anesthesiologist. They have meds for nausea.

5. I would only worry about getting in enough liquids for the first couple of weeks or so, beef broth, chicken broth and a huge variety of SF drinks, peppermint tea. Get pre-op labs and try to address any deficiencies you have.

6. This is another one to discuss with both the surgeon and anesthesiologist, it is actually very important to make sure that they are both aware of this problem.

HTH,
Michele

Kayla B.
on 10/13/11 1:52 pm, edited 10/13/11 1:53 pm - Austin, TX
1.  I'd guess the same or worse...and I would try to nail down the reason if you can.  You might have a food intolerance that you didn't used to have.

2.  They usually can take your input into account, but ultimately aren't going to do something they feel is unsafe or inappropriate.

3.  Do what you can.  The letter is better than nothing.  BTW-lost records = frightening!  If they are still doing paper records they may have filed them in the wrong chart or something.  You should also go back further into your record...say 6 or 7 years instead of 5.

4.  Nausea is common.  Do what you can to prevent it.  Stay hydrated, as dehydration can cause nausea.  Take an acid reducer.  Ask for anti-nausea meds for post-op.

5.  I wouldn't worry about it too much yet, it'll come naturally and you can ask again closer to your date.

6.  You are right to worry about the COPD.  Involve your pulmonologist, quit smoking, and notify the anesthesiologist so proper precautions can be made.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Twyla S.
on 10/13/11 2:14 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 As for the records....I went today and asked about finding SOME kind of documentation of my weight, they said they've had to do the letter with some other WLS people, so the records lady said it shouldn't be a problem....but then again, they're not the ones worrying about it.  They told me that the records are somewhere in a storage facility about 20 miles away.  The supervisor would have to take a couple of days to go and look for them and then it would cost out the wahoolie.  Makes me mad as hell.....HELLO.....COMPUTER AGE!!!

I've heard a few times about dated pics being used, and in fact, the surgeons office said we might could try that.  I have about 50 picture albums to go through (gee thanks mom!) and can probably find about 20 years worth.....maybe not for every single year, but most.  I thought I'd use the letter, the pics, and maybe see if I can get any records from the emergency room with a documentation of my weight.  Surely I'm not the ONLY one who has missing records from ONE DAMN YEAR.  Grrrrrrrrrr....
Kayla B.
on 10/13/11 2:19 pm - Austin, TX
ah, well, we can explore her going to dig through the warehouse should we get to that point...
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Janet P.
on 10/13/11 8:20 pm
1.  No way of knowing. Are you lactose intolerant? Is that why you have so much gas now?

2.  Some do and some don't. But definitely have that discussion.

3.  You can only give them what you have but I suspect if you show issues before and after 2007, that should work.

4.  I never experienced nausea except for the first couple of weeks.

5.  Don't stock up too much on protein supplements. Your tastes will change after surgery so that could be a waste of money. For the first month or so you need to follow your surgeon's instructions when it comes to eating, pills, etc. Not until you're healed should you start following vitalady's vitamin regime.

6.  No idea about COPD.

Good luck with becoming an ex-smoker. I tried to quit a couple of months after surgery and it didn't work. I finally kicked the habit about 3 years ago (right after my plastics) and have been smoke free ever since.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

prettypixels
on 10/14/11 12:56 am
I found out via my egd (part of my pre-op testing) that I have h. pylori bacteria, which can cause all kinds of gas and problems. I really wish I'd gotten checked out sooner because I have had symptoms, just didn't know what they were. Might be worth doing and treating if you have it, and that might help!