calcium question - elemental value

yorkieGal
on 10/13/11 12:44 am - Clermont, FL
Hi Guys,
I take the Vitalady natures science Cal citrate with mag & Vit D.
The label says: Amount per 2 capsules
Calcium citrate  1000mg
mag                   500mg
Vit D                 400Iu

I take 3 doses like this each day and I don't rely on the Mag and Vit D as I take additional Vitalady supplements for these. But how much of the calcium is elemental and how much elemental should we have each day.
I had my labs done in the Uk in August when I was there but they left off PTH and calcium ...yeh ...I know,I know... (I don't currently have insurance so Ican't get them retested here for a while). So I have nothing to go by in terms of my current calcium levels but I have a Dr Baltasar Common Channel 65cm.

I should probably know this....but hey ho!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Renee2007
on 10/13/11 1:57 am - Central, FL
 Nikki,
When was the last time you ordered it from Vitalady. I looked on her website and I don't think she even carries it anymore and she mentions that in a thread from way back.

This discussion came up a couple of years back and here is a link to that thread.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/3617398/Vitalady-Nature s-Science-Calcium-Citrate-750/

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

yorkieGal
on 10/13/11 2:12 am - Clermont, FL
hey Hon, Its possible that I got it from Vitacost but I know the last time I bought the calcium from her I got about 6 huge tubs as I had the money at the time and wanted to spend it wisely. I ogften order from vitacost or vitamin shoppe too, so maybe it came from there! The expiration on the tubs says 9/12 so its still good I guess!

Yorkie x

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 3:25 am
Nikki,

If the label just says calcium and there is nothing else such as (as Citrate) or a %of DV, you are looking at approx 21% elemental calciium per 1000mgs or 200 mg of actual calcium.

If the label says, Calcium (as citrate) 1000 mgs, that is all calcium and is probably the size of a football.

If the %DV (daily value) says 100% it is probably all calcium.

I don't know what your labs look like so I can't tell you how much you should have per day but I would say that no DSer should take under 2400-2500 mgs elemental calcium per day, more or less as your labs dictate. (I don't think I have ever seen anyone get by on less for very long)

Michele

PS. If you are still confused shoot off an email to Michelle or Dan and ask how much elemental is in them. If they are the ones I am thinking, Dan told me that there was 21% elemental in the 1000mg dose also.

yorkieGal
on 10/13/11 5:19 am - Clermont, FL
hey Michelle,
really 2500 elemental? wow that would mean 12 doses a day of my calcium (if you say it has 200 elemental per dose). How do you get all your calcium in ? what do you take?

Yorkie x

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 5:21 am
I don't have my jar with me, but I take 2 horse pills that are 630mg of elemental. I will get back to you.
teachmid
on 10/13/11 5:32 am - OKC, OK
Yorkie,
I take 500 mg of elemental calcium 5 times a day. My understanding is that a single dose of calcium shouldn't exceed 500-600 mg for best absorption.

Sorry, I just jumped in.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

yorkieGal
on 10/13/11 5:44 am - Clermont, FL
Thanks Michelle, that would be great.
Bouoght some citracal Bone density builder, + Vit D today, here's what the label says:
2 capsules
Vit D                       400 Iu( I take 100,000 from Vitalady)
Calcium (elemental)  600mg
Magnesium              50mg
Zinc                        7.5mg
Copper                    1mg
Manganese              2mg
Molybdenum            75mg
Boron                      250mcg
Genistein                 27mg

what do you all think ? I guess 4 doses a day of these suckers should cut it and I can look at my next labs.

Yorkie x

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 6:21 am
Yup.  Those should do it!
beemerbeeper
on 10/13/11 6:31 am - AL
Nik,

I don't know how much elemental calcium is in what I take  It is Calcium Citrate and It just says 630 mgs.  But to make SURE I am covered I take 6 doses of it a day. 

~Becky