Anybody ever feel like you're NEVER going to get surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 6:08 pm
 It's been awhile since I've made the decision to revise to a DS, yet I feel like, other than having made a solid and unwavering decision, I'm no closer to having this revision now than I was several months ago. 

Part of it is our housing situation. It seems foolish to have surgery now, when our housing situation is still so up in the air. (See my post on foreclosure).

And then there are my other health concerns. Dr. Simper wants me to have things under control, healthwise, before surgery. I agree with him. In fact, I would be worried if he wasn't so cautious. But it just seems like I get one health concern semi worked out, and then another health concern crops up in its place.

I kinda feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

Anyone ever feel this way? Like you're just not making the kind of progress you want to?

Feel free to chime in.

Lynda
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 9:58 pm, edited 10/12/11 10:05 pm

Yes, took me 5.5 LOOOOOONG years to revision because of  lack of surgeon problems and lack of insurance coverage.

What can we do as a group to:

1.) Encourage young surgeons to learn RNY --->DS from experienced people

and

2.) Remove the prohibitive "one surgery per lifetime" clause recently inserted into many insurance policies, whether or not the current insurance covered the previous surgery. (Meaning, in fact, current insurance is "off the hook.") Are there comparative "one heart surgery per lifetime" policies? Are these comparable and fair?

honeybadger 11
on 10/13/11 10:34 am - FL

now i did not have 5+yr wait but i recently had a hard time even getting on OH because i would see all the people who introduced themselves about the same time as me on the dark side and here i was still lingering in limbo!

My insurance is a godsend and my surgeons office had all the i dotted and t crossed...that was why it took so long but i heard back from the insurance company in 4 business days!

I hope everything come together for you soon...I HATE WAITING. its very draining:(

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Its a Secret
on 10/13/11 10:50 am
Who was your insurance company?

honeybadger 11
on 10/13/11 11:36 am - FL
BC/BS of FL thru the county i work for. I really am blown away that it went so well. I was for sure i would have to fight to get this crapband outta me! but even with the approval for the band it was the same.

~Jennifer

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 10:45 am, edited 10/13/11 10:46 am
 Thanks for your input. Five years is just too damn long, Eloisie. On the other hand, it gives you plenty of time to learn and prepare.

Honeybadger, you got approved very quickly, didn't you? And I know what you mean by watching others get their surgeries and you're still sitting on the sidelines. You start to wonder why you're even participating on the forum when you haven't even had surgery. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. 

~Lynda
honeybadger 11
on 10/13/11 11:42 am - FL
I spent 3 months getting every test done from mouth to sphincter. then my surgeons office REALLY went thru everything with a fine tooth comb and continue to ask me for more records for this and that from other dr's offices...that took another 6weeks and was the hardest!

BUT i figure since they were so thorough thats might be why i heard back from the insurance co so fast? i dont know...i keep wait for them to tell me they were wrong and that i wasnt approve. I have a confirm # but no actual paperwork in hand yet.

Thats exactly how i felt when i decided not to post, like i was some fraud just playing at getting the DS!

Jennifer

~Jennifer

Jennifer D.
on 10/13/11 1:03 pm, edited 10/13/11 1:04 am
I was so sure I would never get surgery that I didn't even believe it as they were putting me under - I still don't some days.
I lived with an RNY that was making me very ill for 6 years before finding this site. I put in an application to have a revision to my RNY in August 2008 - right before I found Zappre's profile and found out about DS. I reapplied for DS and was denied several times including an appeal hearing. I went through the 'new process' and fought for the surgeon I needed. Then the surgeon had trouble booking surgery - would this ever happen???? It finally did on the 24th of August! Crazy.
scoob
on 10/15/11 1:46 pm - Somerset, KY
Lynda, honey, you're not alone. I've told my story many times before and I'll try a short version for you.

I went to initial consult with Husted on 11-10-08. Started 6 month diet 11-11-08. Found OH 3-09. Had my last 6 month weigh in on May 4th 09. Had all health clearance within 2 weeks of finishing 6 month weight loss! Then came the wait!!!

LCRH was NOT a COE and I have medicare. This hospital was 4 miles from my house and Dr Husted was a highly respected, vetted DS surgeon at this particular time! So I waited, and I waited some more.

Feb 2010 I got a call from a very special friend telling me Husted wasn't doing DS's at LCRH anymore! WTF??!!! Made a few call****ting brick walls and deciding if he did or didn't was no concern of mine anymore. I called Dr Margaret Inman in Carmel Indiana!

I had my consult and psych eval on March 4th 2010. My psych eval was "flagged"!
I had to attend DS support groups, see their dietician, and go to counseling for 6 months to get a date. Mind you it's a 4 hour drive one way!!

I had been attending support groups since 12-08. So I got documentation proving this. Started counseling, twice a month. Showed up to my first dietician appt with proof of each of these things. Attended 2 more counseling. Showed up to second dietician appt with documentation. She says, you know what, we're good. Have your counselor send clearance letter and we'll get you scheduled!!!!

Letter was faxed immediately!!

Within a month I had a date. It was 3 months away because of shedule problems and vacations for the surgeon. I had 2 more appts for pre op testing and pre op class before surgery. I finally had surgery on September 15, 2010!

The best part, I had almost to years to learn. I am a better DSer beause I had to wait. I value the info I get from the vets. I read and reread so much stuff!! I would have failed miserably had I gotten my DS at that 6 month mark. So yeah, it sucked but it was soooooo worth the wait and the fight/jumping through the hoops!

I am 13 months post op and down 128lbs. I have no high blood pressure and my cholesterol levels are wonderful. No more meds.

The very best part is my bipolar meds work sooooooooooooo much better. I feel like a fog has been lifted. The doctor said the extra fat on my body was making it harder to absorb my meds and now I'm still on the same dosage and it works wonderfully!

Being smaller is a nice side effect of being healthy!! I love my DS and you'll love yours when you get it too. Keep your eye on the prize/

OK, so you got the LONG version, sorry!!

HUGS

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

rebecca W.
on 10/15/11 2:16 pm - KY
I didn,t need a revision, but it took me from 2003,untill 2009. But I got it ,time pays off,even though I had to wait,I do it all again and yes I love my DS!    If you do not have the insurance that will pay,I don,t know if they still cover the DS,but  StarBucks, and Target use to pay for the surgeries.   Good Luck on your Journey.  The wait is so worth it.
rebecca w.