What is up with the DS board?

ann M.
on 10/14/11 12:32 am - Northern, VA
I do most of my classes on-line.  When I took one of my more difficult science courses in person, I was absolutely amazed.  I felt so spoon fed by the instructor.  He gave us a power point outline that gave us all the testable information; his syllabus was very clear, accurate, and gave due dates...It was amazing!

There were SO many students that complained and whined about the difficulty of the course and were asking for more.  I'm not sure what the instructor could have done to make it easier.  The sense of entitlement was amazing to me.  My kids hated when I came home from school because they ended up getting lectured on personal responsibility a LOT.

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/14/11 8:27 am
Doh!

Ok it begs the question how one so brainless could make it so far. That GPA threshold does one need to maintain at your college before they slap a student with academic probation or academic suspension? I wonder if she's been skirting the edge for a while before falling in, or if she was fortunate to land classes where the professors would pass everyone.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Elizabeth N.
on 10/14/11 10:39 am - Burlington County, NJ
I suspect she's one who has skirted the edge and/or who has begged successfully thus far. Now she's in a class that requires actual knowledge, not charm or gift of gab or whatever. This is the point at which a lot of wannabe psych majors at our institution become general liberal arts majors.

I think a lot of these kids see the fidiot talking heads on TV who call themselves psychologists and think, "Hey I wanna do THAT!" Generally they think they know at least as much as said fidiots and sometimes they're right.

maryc543
on 10/13/11 12:57 am
Are you SURE we're not attending the same school?   I swear she was sitting one table away in the student lounge the last weekend.....   LOL                  

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Elizabeth N.
on 10/13/11 1:04 am - Burlington County, NJ
Could be.....

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 10:16 am
Elizabeth N.
on 10/13/11 11:35 am - Burlington County, NJ
I'm not acing it by any means, but I understand most of what I've done thus far. I might even get through with a B if I keep it up and THAT would be cause for great celebration.

MsBatt
on 10/14/11 1:51 am
My stats class left me a gibbering idiot.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/14/11 10:44 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's a lot nicer now, I promise. The computer does all the really annoying math and the calculator does all the arithmetic.

Which reminds me, I was absolutely STUNNED to see these kids using calculators for simple addition problems!!!!!!!! I very demonstratively did an arithmetic mean on a sample of twenty numbers by hand just to show them there was such a thing. I got it right while several got it wrong using their ******g calculators.

Trust me, I am NOT mathematical in the slightest. But by golly, I can do arithmetic and I can plug numbers into basic formulas. GAH.

Our textbook is titled "Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics." The author has been teaching college undergrad stats for about a hundred years and managed to write a humorous and user-friendly text.

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 10:49 pm - Lancaster, OH
Hey, EN.  It's even better than that.  It's 15 minutes of my life that I'll never get back, but I did scan her posting history.  All three pages of it.

She's contributed so much......
At least two threads started complaining that she's stalled,
At least one PW thread,
At least one thread whining about hair loss,
At least one thread whining about all her jealous girlfriends.

I think she has full entitlement to pop in here and complain about the posting style of the meanies.  You meanie.....