OT- Extreme Couponing

LuckyLibrarian
on 10/12/11 12:35 pm - Plumerville, AR
I love watching the show, but realized tonight that most of the featured deals are carb filled, processed junk foods. Sad ;-(
Kristen
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation." - Walter Cronkite

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/12/11 12:39 pm, edited 10/12/11 12:47 pm
YEah I noticed that too. I was curious about couponing (I'm, ahem, "thrifty") because I wanted to see if there were any tips to getting good prices on meat (after all, the DS compliance is protein centric!) only to find that meat coupons are rare.

I visited some of the couponer's websites, they advise that you save store coupons (not manufacturing coupons) that will give you an amount off a total purchase and keep them handy in case they have a good meat sale. Costco goes without saying, but only buy what's on sale.

I've also seen recommendations for storage freezers and finding specialty butchers who will literally sell you half a cow (broken down, of course). I think you can get the price per pound down a lot that way, but you need to have the freezer storage space and enough money up front for buying half the beast in one shot.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

BeagleMama
on 10/12/11 12:42 pm
I noticed that as well, sadly. I would, however, be all over the toilet paper and soap.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/12/11 12:49 pm
Add ziplock freezer bags to the list. I go through those like underwear.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

LuckyLibrarian
on 10/12/11 12:59 pm - Plumerville, AR
I hear you on the TP! I always buy the cheapo Angel Soft, but I go through it fast. My Boyf picked up some TP for me weeks ago- the "good stuff" that was double roll. I'm now in LOVE with the TP. I am reformed, and will never buy cheap TP again, and my tooshie thanks me
Kristen
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation." - Walter Cronkite

nightowl
on 10/12/11 6:40 pm - Topeka, KS
And I hate that stores and TP manufacturers seem to keep it so hard to comparison shop for the best value in TP.  Sometimes the shelf label will have a little section saying price per sheet, but that doesn't account for the better quality each thick or double sheet is vs. a single-ply thin sheet.  And per roll is also pretty inexact, due to different sized rolls.  Sometimes you can compare per square foot, I think, but that still has the issue as above where a thicker square foot is better than a flimsy square foot.  Then, even if I keep an eye out to try to compare the same brand between stores (I'm a fan of the fancy Charmin sensitive with Aloe, E, and lotion), the stores often carry them in different sizes and number of rolls.
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 2:58 pm - MN
DS on 03/13/12
I love couponing :D its a great way to save money when you can pair things up with sales and double coupon days. I mostly do it for things like soap, cat food, and some convenience crap, for the really busy days. But even I have to admit the people on that show are just down right crazy.
Kayla B.
on 10/12/11 10:37 pm - Austin, TX
hahaha...I like it too.  But most of those people have said they spend like 30 hours a week couponing.  And one lady spent 10 hours of her saturday at the grocery store checking out!

This also begs the question...I have only seen ONE person on the show bring a cooler into the store for her cold foods that she buys.  What on earth are the rest of them doing?  Blech.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
ghkan
on 10/13/11 1:06 am - Comstock Park, MI
I love couponing!!  I just got $25 worth of shrimp for FREE this week....heading back tomorrow now that I have more coupons!!! 

ModestoK
on 10/13/11 3:15 am
Okay, please share how you got FREE SHRIMP!
I'd be all over that if I knew what to do.
K.