OT- anyone know much about cholesterol?

determineddanni
on 10/12/11 4:38 am

Ok so when I went in to get my regular TSH & DHEA-sulfate labs for my upcoming endo appointment. They also did a lipid panel as well…didn’t order it but o’ well. While looking at it I thought to myself “I am a rockstar!" My LDL is 100 and my HDL is 40 but when I looked at it, it said they were not healthy low ranges… I didn’t know you could go to low…. I started looking this up and what scares me most is HDL. They said 40 is dangerously low…WHAT?! I was reading and it said women with levels between 40-50 are likely to develop heart disease. Isn’t heart disease the leading cause of death in women? Is this info I am reading right? How can I have superbly low LDL of 100 but yet not have a healthy level of HDL? (btw I am not a smoker)

I am so confused… I don’t know much about cholesterol can someone fill me in?

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/12/11 4:43 am - Tuvalu

Essentially, the extent of my knowledge...

LDL = Lousy Cholesterol...this you want to be low (within the range)
HDL= Happy Cholesterol...this you want to be high (within the range)

There are forumlae that are used...but Lousy and Happy are sufficient for my informaton.
healthierme
on 10/12/11 8:06 am - Triangle, NC
I think exercise is supposed to help raise HDL.

HW 300ish / SW 280 / CW 162.8/ GW 140?

determineddanni
on 10/12/11 9:18 am
What worries me is I am on a cardio program and dietician plan. I can't do much more than I am doing right now, due to weight sadly :(
healthierme
on 10/12/11 11:30 am - Triangle, NC
I wouldn't worry too much about it. My cholesterol was never horrible pre-surgery. Post-surgery, my total cholesterol has been running 95. It went up to 100 the last time I got labs done, but I'm not worried about it since it was my HDL that went up 5 points. As someone else has said, I think it's the ratio that's the most important.
Good luck on getting everything figured out!

HW 300ish / SW 280 / CW 162.8/ GW 140?

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/12/11 8:58 am - Tuvalu

Also, I would not claim a "...superbly low LDL of 100."  Mine is more like 40 and my range only goes to 99.
determineddanni
on 10/12/11 9:27 am

You have excellent numbers! "Superbly low" is reference on normal range LDL and also in consideration of my weight as well.

Normal range on LDL is 100 to 200 something, anything from 100 and lower is the best you can do. So when I am that low with the weight I am packing that is GREAT! I eat very good (obviously it doesn't show on the outside lol) but at least some labs show my effort! Just frustrated because the more I read on the internet the more I am like "**** my HDL sucks.... "

I never knew you had to have higher 'good' cholesterol?! I have been reading off and on today on the net, mostly Wikkipedia, Mayo Clinic, and WebMD. I think I found most my answers, now just need to sit down with the doctor and discuss them.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/12/11 9:49 am - Tuvalu
Here's some info from Mayo clinic to compare to what you're dealing with:

www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-levels/CL00001

(And I still think you've got your Total Cholesterol confused with your LDL...but I am no expert on this.)

determineddanni
on 10/12/11 9:51 am
I never listed my total cholesterol. My LDL is 100 but my total cholesterol is 114.
Lisey
on 10/12/11 9:27 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I think what's more important is knowing the ratio of some of your markers, such as the HDL/Total cholesterol or HDL/ triglycerides.  In general, higher HDL is always better, but most people's total cholesterol is A LOT! higher than 100.  Here's a link on the ratio:

http://www.yourmedicaldetective.com/public/523.cfm

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!