Losing my hair!!!

lexi_31
on 10/11/11 10:04 am - laurel , MD
My hair was already thin to begin with now it's getting even thinner and seems to be falling out.  I had surgery June of this year and this is really starting to concern me. Is this normal?  What can I do? 
ModestoK
on 10/11/11 10:06 am
Totally normal to lose hair - your body went through a major shock.
Up your protein! The more, the better. You could also try taking Biotin, but unfortunately there are no guarantees that the loss will stop until it does so on its own.
Hey, it is fall - get some cute hats!
lexi_31
on 10/11/11 10:10 am - laurel , MD
oh ok that makes sense. And I do have to up my protein I know I am not getting in enough.  I was doing the unjury shakes but I was throwing up allot after so stopped drinking them.  So working on ways to get more protein in.  So the Biotin I can buy over the counter?  Thanks for your feedback and uh yes I will consider the hats!
beemerbeeper
on 10/11/11 10:24 am - AL
You are right on schedule.

Have you read this thread?  www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice- for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/  I think it is discussed there.

In case it isn't, here you go:
www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/telogen_effluvium.ht ml

~Becky

MARTINA P.
on 10/11/11 10:36 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Becky you are great you are always there to answer questions.  
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Blank Out
on 10/11/11 10:41 am
 I lost hair months 4-7.   Quite a lot actually!    Totally normal!  I got my hair cut short, which helped with how it looked.   

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

airbender
on 10/11/11 10:45 am

ohhh yes, umm really nothing you can do.  it will get better but it will take some time.  with my primary WLS i lost over 50% of my hair, i could read a newspaper through it, took about 5 years to come back, just in time to lose it again with my DS revision.......

lexi_31
on 10/14/11 9:15 am - laurel , MD
 Mine is the same and it was thin to begin with I will just adjust and in meantime get a wig!
Elizabeth N.
on 10/11/11 11:15 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yup, completely normal and right on schedule. There is nothing you can do to stop the loss. You can only work on excellent nutrition, particularly protein intake, to support the new growth which is coming in.

This phenomenon is called telogen effluvium. The hair is falling out because new hairs are pushing out the old ones. You can Google "telogen effluvium after bariatric surgery" for more information.

kirmy
on 10/12/11 6:37 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Amen!

p.s MWAH

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.