This is where the rubber meets the road

Kayla B.
on 10/12/11 6:16 am - Austin, TX
hahaha

I think it's around $4k.  my insurance covered 85% and I think my portion was about $1000 and includes free lifetime touch ups (haven't needed one).

You are awake.  They give you xanax and numbing drops and you can't feel anything.  The actual laser part lasts no more than a few seconds.  Then it's over and you go home and try to sleep, and put antibiotic drops in your eyes for a couple of weeks.

I was most afraid of when they go all Clockwork Orange and pull your eyelids back, but I really couldn't feel it at all.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/12/11 6:21 am - Tuvalu
and a patch

and then you go back in a week or two and do the other eye
Imissthe80s
on 10/12/11 6:33 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
"Touch ups" hmm, this idea makes me a bit nervous, but I'm guessing eyes still weaken over time, even with surgery which puts you back to 20/20 vision or no?

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 4:49 am
Ditto on being careful about over the counter - the rules have become much stricter.

Do you wear glasses/contacts?  That works too.

Vitamins only count if the doctor requires them via Rx.....so again, tread lightly.  I always advise my employees to underestimate these days so as not to be left with a balance.

Sharon
Imissthe80s
on 10/12/11 4:58 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Yes, I have already looked at the lists of what's covered and what's not covered.  Also, I talked with a lady on the phone concerning vitamins and she said they could be covered if I had a letter on file stating they were necessary.  I will call back and see if in fact I would need an Rx or just a note from the surgeon stating medical necessity

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/12/11 6:01 am - Tuvalu

I got by with a letter in the old days...but it had to say it was to TREAT a diagnosed condition, not to prevent something you don't want.  So, it counted if the doctor wrote "to treat malabsorption" or "to treat vitamin deficiencies," but was worthless if he wrote, "to prevent malnutrition" or "to prevent vitamin deficiencies."

BUT, theat was on a Section 125 account and now you have to get Rxs, I'm pretty sure.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/12/11 8:14 am
We had an FSA but discontinued it this year. My biggest post-op expense was vites and protein shakes, neither of which I was allowed to use my FSA for so it was sort of useless for me in the end.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

orangecrushed
on 10/12/11 8:20 am - Triad, NC
Thank you for asking this question IMissThe80s (always loved your sn, by the way)!  It's open enrollment for me too, and I was also wondering about the FSA.  It sounds like it could be a tricky deal though.  I'll have to find out from the benefits coordinator if vites can be covered, and exactly how a letter should be worded if one is required.

Great info everyone!