Med to stop weight loss?

Jennifer D.
on 10/11/11 7:33 am
Could you please remind me what someone can take to slow down or stop weight loss? Have been looking for it but can't find it (not for me of course : /)
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
MajorMom
on 10/11/11 7:50 am - VA
Creon digestive enzyme.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/11 9:01 am, edited 10/11/11 9:04 am
Jennifer D-

Creon is not over the counter.  It is a prescription that must be written by your surgeon or PCP.  I used to be on Viokase, which is the same thing, but for some reason, it is no longer sold in the US.  I liked Viokase better, since it was a pressed caplet, instead of a capsule, and stomach acid breaks that down better than the little beads in the capsule.  It's not extended release, though.

I have been on it since about three months out, as it turned out that I was hypermalabsorptive, even though I measured out to a 75 cm CC.  It's basically a partial pharmaceutical reversal.  I was warned that I might gain weight with it, but I did not.  I continued to lose, but I became able to absorb nutrients.  The VSG part of the DS won't really let you eat enough to gain weight.  My script initally was two capsules with meals, one with snacks.  Now, I only take one with meals or snacks, which can be as many as seven capsules a day.  I go the extra mile, and take my vites at the same time I eat, to be sure that I'm getting the nutrients in.   My labs have been fabulous.
beemerbeeper
on 10/11/11 10:21 am - AL
On October 11, 2011 at 4:01 PM Pacific Time, Jazzbabe wrote:
Jennifer D-

Creon is not over the counter.  It is a prescription that must be written by your surgeon or PCP.  I used to be on Viokase, which is the same thing, but for some reason, it is no longer sold in the US.  I liked Viokase better, since it was a pressed caplet, instead of a capsule, and stomach acid breaks that down better than the little beads in the capsule.  It's not extended release, though.

I have been on it since about three months out, as it turned out that I was hypermalabsorptive, even though I measured out to a 75 cm CC.  It's basically a partial pharmaceutical reversal.  I was warned that I might gain weight with it, but I did not.  I continued to lose, but I became able to absorb nutrients.  The VSG part of the DS won't really let you eat enough to gain weight.  My script initally was two capsules with meals, one with snacks.  Now, I only take one with meals or snacks, which can be as many as seven capsules a day.  I go the extra mile, and take my vites at the same time I eat, to be sure that I'm getting the nutrients in.   My labs have been fabulous.
"The VSG part of the DS won't really let you eat enough to gain weight."

ROFLMAO.  Yeah.  Right.  Where in the world did you get THAT idea?

~Becky

Jolly Rancher
on 10/11/11 11:41 am
OMG - I really have to agree with you on this one. I guess that's why so many VSGers are over here looking to get a complete DS.

PS - OP, why are you asking about slowing your weight loss?????? I'm hoping it's not for you at this stage of the game!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Jennifer D.
on 10/11/11 11:46 am
Janice, I wi**** was for me!! A friend on another board is getting too low for comfort.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
Jennifer D.
on 10/11/11 11:47 am
Thanks for your responses : )
OhioSteve
on 10/11/11 6:25 pm
Chocolate.

Steve in Cleveland, Ohio - BPD/DS 02/25/2008
The WLS information site you can edit and improve! www.wlswiki.com
Jennifer D.
on 10/12/11 1:49 am
Thanks Steve :P. This guy has been eating lotsa carbs and no deal.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
Elizabeth N.
on 10/12/11 2:07 am - Burlington County, NJ
Questions for/about this person:

How far out is he?
How low is he really?
How is his overall nutrition status?
How are his bowels?
What do his labs look like?

If he's not all that far out, say a year or even two, and he's not all that low in weight, chances are very good that he's going to get some bounceback.

If he's having excess poop issues, he's likely to get some bounceback by getting that under control.

If his overall nutritional status isn't great, it might be time for a LITTLE BIT of Creon and very aggressive supplementation.

Just pouring on the carbs in order to change the scale numbers is not a very useful strategy.