Wondering when the energy will kick in?

challie
on 10/11/11 7:11 am
Hey guys,

I had my surgery in Nov of 2010 and have lost 158 lbs since then.  This is fantastic.  I look better than I did when I was in my twenties. I am almost into normal sizes. I am eating well. My labs so far have been fine.

My only problem is that I don't have any increase in energy.  I have increased mobility which was one of my primary reasons for having surgery.  I just assumed that along with this would come increased energy, but so far, no. My energy is not decreased or anything, but it was really low before and remains low. I also have low mental energy, in that I have little motivation to do things, and just prefer to lie around. Again this was the case prior to surgery, so I know the surgery is not the cause, but I had expected that it might be a solution?

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any suggestions as to what may be going on?  It has crossed my mind that my problem is that I don't exercise, either now or prior to surgery and this could explain my chronic low energy.  Another possibility is that I may be a little depressed, although I don't feel depressed, just lethargic.

Thanks for any feedback
Challie

Its a Secret
on 10/11/11 7:28 am
Hey Challie,

We all feel down sometimes but there's also a chronic low level depression that can just keep us down.  They have meds for that, you just have to be patient enough to find the right one.  I'd suggest going to your PCP or even a shrink and get some prescribed.

Also, I'd post what labs you have taken because your doc may be missing one....maybe that's the one you are low on?

keep the faith!

ME

challie
on 10/11/11 7:46 am
I am expecting a couple of test that were missed from my 9 month labs in a week or so and maybe there is something there but until now things have been fine.

Thanks for the kind words.  Maybe I wil need to take something but I would prefer for this to be a last resort.

Jennifer D.
on 10/11/11 7:38 am
Hi Challie
I hope you feel better soon. I have a doctor's appt. in an hour to try to figure out way I feel so horrible. I have less energy than before surgery - finding moving difficult. Have you been keeping a spreadhseet of your labs? Sometimes if they are on a downtread but not yet out of range that can be a problem.
challie
on 10/11/11 7:48 am
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are suffering from low energy too.  Hope all goes well for you.  I have been keeping a spreadsheet and it seems the only trends are for some of my levels to be getting on the high side (B's, D,) I have cut back on those so hopefully this is no longer an issue.

Elizabeth N.
on 10/11/11 11:22 am - Burlington County, NJ
Depression doesn't have to be sad or morose feelings. It can be blah energy level, blah affect, just.....blah.

Exercise might very well help.

Have you had other medical possibilities ruled out, like thyroid issues? Chronic fatigue?

What are your labs looking like? What's your supplement regimen like?

determineddanni
on 10/11/11 1:28 pm
Just a suggestion but have you TSH (thyroid level) level checked. It can affect a lot of stuff :) I hope you get that energy back!
beth-28
on 10/11/11 6:20 pm
Have you heard about SAD (seasonal affective disorder)?  Maybe get out in the sunshine, or get phototherapy treatment?
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Bill I.
on 10/12/11 3:23 am - Ashton, IL
Lots of interesting ideas.  Lack of excercise and depression both sound like the most likely culprits.   Depression is a super hard thing to fix or cope with.

(I seem to have the same problem)

Don't lose hope - you're definitely not alone!

highest weight 425lbs - surgery weight 400lbs - goal weight 199lbs