Apparently, I pissed someone off

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 10:25 am - Bayonne, NJ
I'm really glad you're going for the RD. We need RDs who can understand the DS and the challenges that it brings. Rock on!

If someone got their knickers in a twist, well, then they should examine their own motives and why they feel that way. Calling someone a reprehensible name is bs.

I take a whole mess of stuff, and have had to tweak it to work for me. As a matter of fact, I should go for labs very soon for the latest comparison. I take 4 Kirkland multis a day, 2 proferrin, and I supplement heavily with ADEK. I also take a boatload of calcium. I add in zinc and potassium, but I discontinued the B vitamins after my labs were off the charts. I guess I get enough from the multis.

Best of luck to you with your degree program!
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 2:47 pm

Thanks, Bailey!  You're looking fantastic!

I was doing iron daily, until a lab came back that I was out of range, too much iron, so I cut back to weekly, and my irons been fine.  One of the things i do have to watch with SLE is becoming anemic, *and* getting too much iron.

Once, before my DS, my PCP checked my hemoglobin in her office.  She sent me straight from there to the hosptial for two units of packed red cells! 

dgb123
on 10/12/11 10:43 pm - Fairfax, VA
Sorry if I seem ignorant, but what is "SLE"?

Donna

maryc543
on 10/13/11 12:28 am
Donna   WHAT????   you don't know EVERY abbreviation for EVERY disease????  Oh my!
(Ok, now that the teasing part is over)   SLE is Lupus.....

Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a long-term autoimmune disorder that may affect the skin, joints, kidneys, brain, and other organs.

There are now some research studies that some autoimmune diseases are made worse by morbid obesity.  The body has trouble recognizing the signals and either overproduces or underproduces essential components.  Losing weight can modify the symptoms...and slow the progression.  Obesity doesn't cause the disorder, just makes it worse....   like so much science, the jury's still out on this...  and I haven't read anything too much recently. 

I have an autoimmune disease, which seemed to get significantly better after the first 100 pound loss, and the symptoms disappeared after the second hundred pounds. The most recent blood work showed incredible improvement.....  (OK, it's been 4 years since surgery, so this wasn't overnight!)....  the doc treating me felt there was a direct correlation to weight loss and loss of symptoms....  so he's watching the research...
     (getting off my soapbox now)    Was that wayyyy more than you asked?   Sorry!     Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

dgb123
on 10/13/11 3:31 am - Fairfax, VA
No!  Definintely not too much information!  Always want to learn more.  How great that you have seen such great improvement after your weight loss!!

Donna

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/11 3:23 am
Mary-

I can certainly vouch for the remission of symptoms,,,but for some reason...probably the stress of classes and a few other things going on in my life...I'm in the midst of a nasty flare as we speak.  Started early AM Thursday.

It's so bad, I'm even thinking about a medical drop or incompletes in everything except the A&P I'm retaking. This is a very rugged semester.

Went to the doc yesterday afternoon, and the dreaded prednisone and hydrocodone is what I got...only this time I'm not so scared of the prednisone, since the DS is in place.

maryc543
on 10/14/11 4:24 am
I'm sorry you're in the midst of a flare up......   it does suck!  I can only offer some personal data.....  flareup's are less frequent, of shorter duration, and less debilitating....  the further out I get, the longer I'm closer to a normal weight, the easier its been for me.....  I hope you can work something out with school......it seems harder when you stop and restart!  Good Luck!   Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com