Apparently, I pissed someone off

orangecrushed
on 10/12/11 1:43 am - Triad, NC
Jazz,
Glad you have been able to find a new passion and goal to work towards.  Best of luck!

Nic
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 5:27 am

Thank you!  If it weren't for the DS, I'd still be spending 60 percent of my life in bed, and loading my scooter into my trunk everytime I went somewhere.
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 3:14 am
I bet I can guess who called you that. 

When I called her on misinformation that SHE put out, she blocked me.

I don't have a problem with what you post as long as you have a disclaimer in the post that this is YOUR routine and YOUR issues so that newbies don't get confused.  You are way out of the norm which you are aware of.

I don't have and don't need an RD, I did at first but couldn't get them to go beyond what the "books" were saying and I knew that their advice would kill me, so I wrote them all off. 

I hope that your studies include "thinking outside the box" because good RD's are few and far between.

Also, be careful what you post here in the way of advice because you do not want to jeopardize your professional standing when you get that accomplished.

Michele

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 5:38 am
Michele-

Thanks for your encouragement. 

Going outside the box is exactly what I plan to do as a Bariatric Dietitian.  I can't wait for the day tht a patent comes to me and says You don't know what it's like", and I hoist my blouse and show them my scar!

That's the problem with current RD's.  Chemistry is chemistry, but metabolically, WLS patients are different, and each surgery has different nutritional needs.  They just don't take the time to learn that.  I'm going to be the one who does!

As I said before, I'm going to be practically creating this specialty when I go back to my alma mater. 
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/12/11 4:23 am - Tuvalu

Who said THAT?

You do not lie...you are not ignorant...and you are certainly not a "BASTERISK, ASTERISK, ASTERISK, ASTERISK."

I don't know whom you offended or why, but I'm pretty sure you'll survive that experience.

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 5:52 am, edited 10/12/11 5:52 am

I'm sure I will. I have the same passion as Michele, but I want to put it to work in a clinical setting. There are way too many WLS patients who get into nutritional trouble, especially DSers, because the RD's who counsel them can't get past the "dieting" mentality.

When you think about it, we WLS patients have traded morbid or malignant obesity for a different disease process (malabsorption syndrome for DSers and RNY's, until they lose theirs) that requires clinical surveillance. That's going to be my job!
Kayla B.
on 10/12/11 6:01 am - Austin, TX
I have searched and searched and I still have no idea what post this is in reference to.  Hmph.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 2:11 pm

I think it got deleted.  I was already blocked, so I couldn't respond.  Someone else PM'd me.

The issue was my high PTH and Calcium levels, when I was asked for my Vit D level by another person.  They all work together, so I posted all three.  I haven't yet scanned all my DS stuff into my computer, so I was reading paper documents.

My PCP sent me for a parathyroid study, in fear that SLE was attacking my parathyroid  since my bone scan was OK. 
PinkButtafli
on 10/12/11 7:20 am - Covington, GA
Thank you for sharing with us. As you have pretty much stated, everyone's journey and routine may not be identical, however I can surely appreciate the information that you have shared. I do find many of the veteran Dsers to be very degrading hence my reason for never really posting...fear of being bashed for one reason or another. I enjoy reading and learning about the journey of other Dsers. One never knows whether or not there may be pertinent information shared by someone else that they may be able to apply to their journey. Good luck on your "new" journey! I know you will be phenomenal, I can feel your passion!

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 2:33 pm
Thanks Pink!

I got bashed as a newbie pre-op, too, and as you can tell, I still do.

It's ok though.  there are quite a few WLS patients who have SLE, and that's a miracle in itself, because many surgeons won't touch you if you do.  If I had kept going the way I was, I would have been one of those people who had to have a wall knocked out and a forklift just to get out of the house!