Cardiologist says, I have "a plaque."

rbb825
on 10/10/11 5:39 pm, edited 10/11/11 5:40 am - Suffern, NY
Did he say if you have any % of blockage from the plaque? I had a carotid sonogram and have a 40% blockage in both sides of my carotid arteries. Based on that, my cardiologist sent me for a CT of the heart since she said if you have blockages in your carotids, you most likely have blockages in your heart. Sure enough, I have a 50% blockage in my main coranary artery. Thankfully none of them are serious enough to need any type of surgery. I have to take a statin drug and I was on Plavix to prevent heart attack and stroke. I had to go off the the plavix last fall when I had severe bleeding during surgery for a bowel obstruction and haven't been able to go back on it yet but do hope to go back on it again someday. The combination of plavix and statins are great at preventing strokes and heart attacks. I also go for yearly carotids and echo's.

I am not really sure what blood test could tell you if your plaque gets better or worse. The only way to tell is to actually repeat the carotid sonogram yearly or 6 months if need be

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/11/11 1:03 am - Tuvalu
On October 11, 2011 at 12:39 AM Pacific Time, rbb825 wrote:
Did he say if you have any % of blockage from the plaque? I had a carotid sonogram and have a 40% blockage in both sides of my carotid arteries. Based on that, my cardiologist sent me for a CT of the heart since she said if you have blockages in your carotids, you most likely have blockages in your heart. Sure enough, I have a 50% blockage in my main coranary artery. Thankfully none of them are serious enough to need any type of surgery. I have to take a statin drug and I was on Plavix to prevent heart attack and stroke. I had to go off the the plavix last fall when I had severe bleeding during surgery for a bowel obstruction and haven't been able to go back on it yet but do hope to go back on it again someday. The combination of plavix and statins are great at preventing strokes and heart attacks. I also go for yearly carotids and echo's.

I am not really sure what blood test could tell you if your plaque gets better or worse. The only way to tell is to actually repeat the carotid sonogram yearly or 6 months if need be

He didn't mention a percentage.  It was more of a "there's not much, but it IS here" kind of approach.  He didn't want to start me on statins until he tries asprin in several configurations because that would be overkill for what I've got going on right now.

k9ophile
on 10/10/11 2:25 pm
I guess that's better than mulitple plaques. 

Or better than multiple plagues.  Just one of my words that I always spell wrong.  Talk about creating widespread pandemonium...

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Lisey
on 10/10/11 11:26 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I don't know anything about this, but wanted to wish you well!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

blackburn.vicki
on 10/11/11 11:57 am

Vitamin K2 Protects Against Coronary Heart Disease

Cumulative Incidence of Hepatocellular 
Carcinoma Diagnosed in Women Treated with Vitamin K2
Vitamin K2 Protects Against Coronary Heart Disease
This chart shows the dramatic risk reductions in the incidence of primary liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma) in high-risk women treated with vitamin K2 compared with a control group.

Normal deposition of calcium occurs in two organs: bone and teeth. Abnormal deposition of calcium in the body occurs in three places: the inner lining of the arteries (the intima) where athero-sclerotic plaque accrues; the muscle layer of arteries (“medial calcification"); and heart valves. Vitamin K2 appears to be the form of vitamin K that contributes to controlling all of these phenomena.

However, calcium has historically been viewed as a passive marker, certainly not an active participant in heart disease. Some maintained that calcium was nothing more than a remnant of prior “rupture," a scar from dangerous inflammatory activity of soft plaque. They even argued that calcium was, in fact, a reflection of increased plaque stability, as the “hard" material was not itself prone to rupture. Thus, they believed that calcium played no active role in contributing to atherosclerotic plaque.

Does Vitamin K2 Prevent Cancer?

Those arguments have now been dashed by new observations. A definitive connection between vitamin K2 levels and heart disease, in terms of a large-scale, well-controlled clinical trial, was first described in 2004 in the Rotterdam Heart Study—a Dutch trial that tracked 4,800 participants for seven years.1 The study revealed that participants who ingested the greatest quantities of vitamin K2 in their diet experienced a 57% reduction in death from heart disease than people who ingested the least. The same relationship did not hold for vitamin K1. Unfortunately, in this study MK-4 and MK-7 intake and levels were not separately analyzed but were grouped together, along with other MK categories such as MK-8 and MK-9.

Higher intakes of vitamin K2 also corresponded to less calcium deposition in the aorta (an indirect measure of atherosclerosis), whereas participants who ingested less K2 were more likely to show moderate or severe calcification. The lowest risk of heart attack and aortic calcification was seen in participants who included more than 32.7 mcg a day of vitamin K2 in their diet.1

The size and quality of the Rotterdam Heart Study gave credibility to the powerful association between vitamin K2 dietary intake and heart disease and suggests that vitamin K2 may confer cardiovascular benefits by inhibiting arterial calcification.

Physicians and scientists are now intensely interested in monitoring and halting the accumulation of coronary calcium, since they know that it comprises a significant portion of atherosclerotic plaque volume.

It appears therefore that the accumulation of calcium signals actively growing atherosclerotic plaque and that vitamin K deficiency may set the stage for this pathogenic process.