Update on me and what I've been up too - slightly OT

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/11 8:06 pm
The year isn't over and I have been going thru ALOT. Some of it weight wise, the majority has been about my knee replacements.

I had both my knees done at different times, had the right one done in Sept. Just got home from the rehab center a few days ago. Stayed a month.

I would have stayed longer, but I had a med mix up and had to get out to take care of my depression. Go figure.

A little warning about physical therapy. My therapist pushed me too hard and I ended up straining my knee. If you feel you can't do it. DON'T!

For me, it was 20 squats. All my life I've been told NOT to do squats. I figured, new knees, new rules. WRONG! 

I could go on all day about the knee **** Anyways onto the DS and weight.

I can do upper body exercises and I do. I walk with either a walker or two canes. So walking for exercise is out of the question for the moment. Physical therapy will be exercise, I begin on Wednesday. And I am looking forwards to that.

Needless to say, I've put on about 25lbs. My DS still works at 3 years out. Ate a lot of fat and got oil slicks. I still eat low carb, high protein. Am dilligent with my vitamins and labs are good.

But, I know I need to exercise in order to drop the 25 I've gained. It's been bothering me and bothering me and I am sooo pissed at myself sometimes.

I know I have to be patient. Hopefully, by my birthday, Jan. 7th; I'll be walking for exercise. And then I can get this extra weight off.

I still can't eat ANYTHING. Breads, some pasta's; cakes etc. Will make me feel sluggish and give me bathroom issues. Still lactose intolerant. So, things are basically the same.

Just thought I'd let y'all know where and how I've been.

Dana

kirmy
on 10/9/11 9:02 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
On October 10, 2011 at 3:06 AM Pacific Time, TaylorD wrote:
The year isn't over and I have been going thru ALOT. Some of it weight wise, the majority has been about my knee replacements.

I had both my knees done at different times, had the right one done in Sept. Just got home from the rehab center a few days ago. Stayed a month.

I would have stayed longer, but I had a med mix up and had to get out to take care of my depression. Go figure.

A little warning about physical therapy. My therapist pushed me too hard and I ended up straining my knee. If you feel you can't do it. DON'T!

For me, it was 20 squats. All my life I've been told NOT to do squats. I figured, new knees, new rules. WRONG! 

I could go on all day about the knee **** Anyways onto the DS and weight.

I can do upper body exercises and I do. I walk with either a walker or two canes. So walking for exercise is out of the question for the moment. Physical therapy will be exercise, I begin on Wednesday. And I am looking forwards to that.

Needless to say, I've put on about 25lbs. My DS still works at 3 years out. Ate a lot of fat and got oil slicks. I still eat low carb, high protein. Am dilligent with my vitamins and labs are good.

But, I know I need to exercise in order to drop the 25 I've gained. It's been bothering me and bothering me and I am sooo pissed at myself sometimes.

I know I have to be patient. Hopefully, by my birthday, Jan. 7th; I'll be walking for exercise. And then I can get this extra weight off.

I still can't eat ANYTHING. Breads, some pasta's; cakes etc. Will make me feel sluggish and give me bathroom issues. Still lactose intolerant. So, things are basically the same.

Just thought I'd let y'all know where and how I've been.

Dana

Hey Dana glad you're alright.  Sorry to hear you've been having a rubbish time.  Can I suggest that you get into a swimming pool and get walking walking walking.  The sligh****er resistance and weightlessness will be perfect for your knees and will burn more calories then you realise.  It seriously is a win win situation.

Even if you don't know how to swim you just need to get into the shallow end and walk back and forwards until you can't walk any more. 

Be well darling. x

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
teachmid
on 10/9/11 9:14 pm - OKC, OK
Thanks for sharing your challenges. Hopefully, in the long run, your quality of life will be improved with your new knees, I second the idea of water exercise.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

scoob
on 10/9/11 9:15 pm - Somerset, KY
So good to hear from you! Sorry that you've been having such a rough time. Don't over work those new knees. Will be sending healing thoughts your way.

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Janine P.
on 10/9/11 10:39 pm - Long Island, NY
So glad you're okay. 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 6:53 am
 Thanks everyone. I'm seriously gonna look into the water exercises once my finances clear up a bit. The only place to do that is at the YMCA, and it's over $500 for a years membership. OUCH!

Dana
Its a Secret
on 10/10/11 2:31 pm
Depending on your income, ymca does have a sliding scale enrollment.  Call and see if you qualify.

Twyla S.
on 10/10/11 10:41 am - Chattanooga, TN
 I hate bad knees!  Grrrrr.....  The doc told me mine were shot too, so after I have my surgery, I'll be getting two knee replacements also.  This past summer, I invested in one of those 4'x12' (I think, can't remember exact size, but it's plenty big), for about 350.00, just so I could exercise without pain.  It made a world of difference, I was even able to move better OUT of the pool, and didn't have to take near as many pain meds...or that's the way it worked for me anyway.  I did alot of walking in there just by cleaning it out...LOL  I don't know about your income, but they do have a reduced fee program if your income qualifies.  I think my sister, who is on disability, doesn't have to pay anything, or barely anything.  It might be worth checking into....
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 10:27 pm
I'm just glad we have the option of knee replacement. There was a time not long ago, when we were just STUCK! Good luck.

Dana
gak
on 10/10/11 1:22 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
 Dana, 
I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how those new knees were doing ! I will also say water therapy !

WHAT A BLESSING it is !

Also a decent recumbant bike if you can afford one. We found a good one sale at Dick's Sporting Goods and what a difference it makes. It is also what my ortho suggested after he pulled me out of PT for similar issues as yours ! 

Keep feeling better, it will get better ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm