Sleeve revision to DS Question

chspan
on 10/9/11 1:28 pm
I am having a revision to a DS on November 8th (was suppose to have the DS originally but they were unable to do it)..I am wondering what to expect as far as ability to eat..I know I have to go through the stages again but being that my stomach has already been altered should I expect to have nausea and all of that fun stuff again. After the sleeve I had pretty bad nausea and vomiting for about 3 months and hope to not have to relive that experience..

Mdae
on 10/9/11 1:32 pm
Why were you originally unable to have the DS?  Is your surgeon going to re-sleeve you, or only do the intestinal portion?  I would think that would be a big factor in  your ability to eat.

chspan
on 10/9/11 1:42 pm
There wasn't enough room last time round...had to loose some major weight before they were willing to try again..they are just doing the intestinal portion as far as I know...

beemerbeeper
on 10/9/11 2:22 pm - AL
Who is your surgeon?

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/11 4:40 pm - San Jose, CA

I don't recognize Nagle as a surgeon who has ever done a DS, at least not on anyone who has posted here.  That may be one of the reasons you didn't get a DS in the first place.

Is he doing the revision?  Why?  Have you checked his level of experience?  Are you going to get resleeved too?  It's been nearly 2 years - how much has your sleeve stretched out?

chspan
on 10/10/11 10:09 am
I feel like my question is not being answered. My surgeon was not the reason they couldn't finish the surgery it was because I had too much compacted fat. I was wondering if any one has ever had a revision from the sleeve to the ds and if so what their experience was like not second guess my choice of surgeon.

NoMore B.
on 10/10/11 10:28 am, edited 10/10/11 10:29 am
 Your question isn't being answered because you didnt provide enough information.

I know you dont want to hear this, but it is likely that the reason you didnt get the DS in one step is becasue of your choice in surgeon.  I'm not saying your surgeon is not good, but I am saying that the more experienced DS surgeons are able to do people in one step - even significantly morbidly obese people at higher starting weigthts than you.  That is one of the reasons that we preach the list of vetted DS surgeons on www.dsfacts.com.  Your surgeon could be a qualified excellent bariatric surgeon (I dont know him from Adam), he could be horrible, or anything in between.  But what he is NOT is a vetted DS surgeon.

That being said, it's still not possible to answer your question without knowing if you're being resleeved, or if you're just having the intestinal part.  People asked you because the sleeve stretches out over time, and if you have only the intestinal part you lose some of the synergy of both parts of the surgery working together.  Without being resleeved your weight loss is likely to be less than if you had the DS in one step.

I'm not suggesting you ask your surgon to resleeve you no matter what, please understand, because that is a risky surgery.  

So, assuming you are only having the intestinal portion, I wouldnt think that you will have the nausea and vomitting, but I was a one step DS.  There are only a select few on here that had their DS in two steps so maybe someone who went through it will answer you.  

No one is trying to give you a hard time, we're trying to understand your situation better and to educatie you a bit.
aspan
on 10/10/11 11:00 am
chspan
on 10/10/11 12:01 pm
While Dr. Nagle may have been inexperienced, he had two other experienced doctors assisting him throughout the entire surgery. Paul Kemmeter being one of those surgeons, and all three decided it would be best to not do the DS part of the surgery. I am confident it had nothing to do with the Doctor in my situation.

NoMore B.
on 10/10/11 12:09 pm
 Dr Kemmenter is welll known as an excellent DS surgeon.  I've met several of his patients in real life and they all rave about him.

No point in debating or second guessing your two step procedure, I know you want to look forward and lose the rest of your weight.

There is a two step Ds'er on here that I know, Janina P - you might want to send her a PM with your question.  I dont see her post every day.

From the two steppers I've seen on here over the past few years, they seem to recover quickly and very well.  I know I was talking to Janina about it over the summer and when she had the second part done she wasnt really limited on what she could eat because her stomach was already healed and mature.