Today makes 3wks Post Op and ...

Sexyvt123
on 10/10/11 4:51 am
I am down 34pds.  Yay

Hi Guys

I am still here hanging on strong and doing well.  I can't believe I had surgery 3wks ago from today.   To be honest I dont even feel like I had surgery at all.  I was talking to my boyfriend and explaining to him how the day came and went so fast.  Just a few months ago I was on here complaining and fighting with my insurance for an approval and now I'm switched.  I can honestly say I feel 95% normal again.  With each day that past I am getting better with my water and protein.  I started back eating food but very very little.  I get very full fast and whenever I hiccup I know its time to put my fork down.  The only issue/complaint I have so far is my bowel issues.  Some days I will have these terrible bowel movements where I start to sweat and want to throw up.  Actually I do spit up but not really because I dont really have food inside me.  After I'm done using the bathroom I'm a lil weak and rest for about 5 min and then I'm good.  I'm not sure what that is and will speak to the Dr about it.  At first I thought it was the calcium constipating me but I didn't take the calcium for 2 days and everything was fine until today.  I need to pick up the liquid calcium and see how it works.  Besides that I'm doing fine.  I go back to work on the 19th but I'm wondering if I should take an extra week.  I will see what Dr Roslin think when I see him on Wednesday.  Well that's it for now.  I will keep you guys posted in a week or so. 

Vonett

tee4change
on 10/10/11 5:54 am - NY
sounds good
Janet P.
on 10/10/11 6:07 am
You're doing great. I remember when I hit 3 weeks I felt pretty good. If you don't think you're ready to go back to work, see if you can go back part-time. I did that and it worked great. I had taken a month off and then came back part time. I worked half days for a week and that allowed me to ease back into my job. Definitely the way to go if you have that ability.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

NoMore B.
on 10/10/11 6:15 am
 Vonett

Wow, those three weeks flew by.  You're bouncing back really well for anyone, let alone an RNY to DS revision.  

I went through bouts of weakness like you're describing on and off for the first month, at least.  I hope you continue to get better every day.

I dont know what kind of work you do, or what your disability policy is, but if taking an extra week is an option, my opinion is it's never a bad idea.  Once you go back, you're back, if you know what I mean.  If you go back too soon you'll have a miserable time and you'll just be forced to suck it up.  

Glad to see you doing well.
Joanne
Sexyvt123
on 10/10/11 6:20 am
Hi Joanne

How are you doing.  I meant to send you a PM to ask about Kenya but I saw that you already post.  Actually im a revision from lapand to DS.  My fear is that I have a bowel movement episode at work.  Im a manager for a media company and spend most of my days sitting down and going in meetings.  Im gonna talk to Dr Roslin and see what he say about the extra week.  Im strongly thinking about taking it.  Thanks for the well wishes. 

NoMore B.
on 10/10/11 6:25 am
 Ah, for some reason I thought you had an RNY.  

My bowel movements settled down over time.  It's a real crap shoot (haha, pun intended) as to how it goes in the beginning, but things will normal out for you.  I asked him to write me out for 8 weeks and he did, so I dont think you'll have a problem if you wanted extra time.  I was probably physically able to go back sooner, but I travel and didnt want to have any issues on the road, either with having to find a bathroom urgently, or even being in a good rhythm of getting in my protein and fluids.

Poor Kenya has a leak, but it's a small one that doesnt require surgery (so far) so I'm hopeful she'll be well soon.  She's been through a lot, she had some bad nurses at Lenox Hill, but she was in great spirits last night.  Kenya's a nurse so she knows how to take care of herself in a hospital
airbender
on 10/10/11 6:35 am
my gosh 34 lbs, you sound like you are doing great.  follow up with your dr to make sure.  3 weeks is not a long time.  if you are constipatted try adding mg or miralax ( i take mg glycinate with a 2:1 ca:mg)  I have never been constipated and I have never had oil slicks (longer cc than normal) no diarrhea etc.  Ask for another week off, your dr should approve up to 8 weeks if you ask.  if you can take it off, it will get your bowels in better shape and you won't stress as much going back....sending you smooth recovery
scoob
on 10/10/11 7:14 am - Somerset, KY
WOW, 34lbs, you're a rock star!!!!

I would opt for the extra time off. I know at 3 weeks you feel 95%normal but you're still healing so don't forget to be easy on yourself. I started about 3 weeks trying to get up earlier and get my bathroom "schedule" going.

Now I'm almost 13 months and I wake at 6 am, take my iron and C, hit the toilet. I go 1 to 3 times. I'm "usually" good until evening then I MAY go once more. And I eat a LOT of fat. I have to, if I don't I won't go at all. I also take Mag Ox. 

Keep ROCKin it!!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 7:45 am - ewing, NJ
Congrats on ur speedy recovery and weight loss!!! I am having a revision from the lap band to DS on Wednesday. I hope that I feel as good as you do!!!! I am questioning work too I have 2 full time jobs just trying to see how I will return to work!!!! It depends on how I am feeling I may return to just one an resign from the other!! Dont wanna be too exhausted....
mel1964
on 10/10/11 9:49 am
i would take as much time as possible, go back when you ready, i get sick like that when i really need to go to the bathroom, early out miralax, more water and oil did the trick for me, i put a lot of ice in my protein shakes and peanut butter, if you are still on liquids and eased oil in my soft foods to get things moving, also adding magnesium oxide helps also, walking more helps too, this what worked for me any way.  its a lot of trail and error for now, early out you never know was going to make you go until you actually eat it