Post-op diet...

prettypixels
on 10/9/11 9:23 am
Don't worry, I know to follow my surgeons protocol regarding liquids/mushies/solids.  :) What I am wondering about is when post-op did most of you start adding fats back in?  My understanding is that high fat stuff is rough on us when we are newly post-op, but then wind up being good for us later.   

What were your favorite things to eat in the early post-op weeks?  

Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

Sheanie
on 10/9/11 9:44 am
Listen to what your body says to you.  If you want something, try a tiny bit.  I ate peanut butter within a few weeks and when I told the nurse, I thought she was going to pass out.  They sell this fat-free PB2 powder they wanted me to eat instead.  I still go through JIF in my desk at work like nobody's business.  That, and beef jerky are my favorite travel proteins.  Now I always keep a metal spoon in my purse, and a jar of JIF.  I was going through plastic ones way too fast. 

You'll want to make friends with Greek yogurt, and keep trying things periodically, because your tastes change.  What makes you wretch today will be your favorite in afew months.  Read it now and believe it later, it's true.

One thing I still have trouble with is scrambled eggs.  They get stuck every GD time, even with loads of cheese sauce or gravy, no matter how long I chew them up.

Bread is not so bad 2 years out as it was immediately. 

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Elizabeth N.
on 10/9/11 9:54 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yeah, I started the peanut butter fairly early, too.

prettypixels
on 10/9/11 10:39 am
 Thanks!  I have no plans to try bread, no big loss;  I can't eat much (if any) bread now with my band anyway.  I'm used to it!  But it's funny you say that about scrambled egg, I have the same exact experience.  Why are scrambled eggs so darned sticky (in the sense of getting stuck) no matter what you do to them?  Crazy!

Thank you for the advice about listening to what I want and trying tiny bits... I have to remember that!!! 
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

MajorMom
on 10/9/11 9:51 am - VA
I guess I didn't worry too much about following the low fat info. I just used regular forms of mayo and butter. I did use Lactaid milk at first.

After I got to soft food shrimp ****tail was a favorite of mine.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Elizabeth N.
on 10/9/11 9:54 am - Burlington County, NJ
Let's see..... I was back at home when the first constipation hit, and I think it might have been on a weekend, so that would have been something like three weeks out. I was in misery. So I called Dr. Peters and said NOW WHAT?! He said eat more fat. I thought that was pretty bizarre, but hey, he's the doc.

So I ate two or three saltines spread not quite cracker-thick with butter. Next morning my problem was solved and I was a believer :-) .

From there I just played with it, and judged the right amount by my poop consistency.

Early out I liked scrambled egg sometimes (not always), yogurt, soft types of fish, a little bit of very saucy pot roast and the insides of a Taco Bell taco. Oh, and some melted cheese but not a lot.

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/11 10:00 am
Elizabeth N.
on 10/9/11 12:34 pm - Burlington County, NJ
You've had a tough road thus far :-( . Sia is someone who's had a very hard time with tolerating foods, and it's been a long term thing for her. You might consider contacting her and seeing if she has any advice or experience to share.

prettypixels
on 10/9/11 10:40 am
 Wow, that makes sense!  We need to listen to our bodies.  OK.  I can do that! 

elixir
on 10/9/11 10:56 am - MI
I didn't have a problem with fat after surgery. Once I was able to eat mushies at two weeks out I mixed full fat mayo with pureed tuna or canned chicken. I had a few bites of avocado and used full fat sour cream in re-fried beans. I also ate peanut butter (but I would never buy Jiff, even though it was my fave brand before surgery, because of all the added sugar.) I buy natural peanut butter that has no sugar added. I can't drink milk, the sugar in it messes with my guts, so I use half and half in my shakes and have no problem with it. It makes the shakes so much richer and they taste much better than with jus****er. (I mix it 50/50 with water.) 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor