How much protein do we need?

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/8/11 1:20 pm - Sedona, AZ
I don't do many protein shakes because the taste just doesn't tempt me so I eat mostly food to get in the protein but I will give you some examples. I enjoy all of it and tho I have an ongoing count in my head daily I don't really measure but I make sure to err on side of more than I need. I enjoy my proteins!

My favorite is probably a bowl of chili. I also love cheese omelets. Burger**** the spot a lot of days and I cook them with lots of chopped onions. I do snack on various nuts, pieces of cheese and sometimes a protein bar here or there. I especially love the Supreme bars. I love a good steak or even prime rib. . I make a big beef roast in the crock pot regularly too.( I probably have too much red meat but I am enjoying it for now.)  I do make chicken or turkey breasts at times too. I used to eat more fish and I do like all kinds especially sushi, crab, lobster, orange roughy, cod.

When I was a few weeks out I ate a lot of tuna in mayo & egg salad. When I was first on soft foods I are soft boiled eggs often. I am not much for cottage cheese or yogurt but they went down well in the beginning when I was trying to refrain from dense proteins like meat.

I didn't have a sweet tooth the first 6 months which was a miracle to me but now that I do I have to be careful. One of my favorite things to make is Val's ricotta fluff. It is somewhat like cheesecake and has a lot of protein.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 1:26 pm - San Jose, CA

Boy I sure wish know-nothing-know-it-alls would keep their dangerous bull**** off the message boards, before they HURT someone.

Go advertise yourself somewhere else please - somewhere you won't hurt soneone.  Fortunately, since so many of us are on to you, all you do when you repeatedly pull this **** is heap ridicule upon yourself.

Renee2007
on 10/9/11 12:57 am - Central, FL
 I would be in a world of hurt with only 90 g of protein a day. My malabsorption is still very much in high gear. I base my protein intake on my labs and 150-200 g per day keeps my levels just within normal range.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/9/11 3:54 am - Tuvalu
On October 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM Pacific Time, Barbara C. wrote:
There are often a lot of questions and concerns about how much protein we need after bariatric surgery. This is a link to a paper that appeared in Bariatric Times. This paper titled Protein and the Bariatric Patient by Laura Frank, PhD, MPH, RD, CD, October 2008 appeared in the Bariatric Times (http://bariatrictimes.com/2008/10/07/protein-and-the-bariatr ic-patient-2/)

The conclusion of this discussion appears below: 

Protein Prescription for the Bariatric Patient 
Usual protein recommendations for the post-bariatric surgery patient are anywhere from 1 to 2g protein per kg of adjusted body weight—calculated as current body weight (CBW) minus ideal body weight (IBW) multiplied by 25 percent plus IBW [CBW-IBW x 25% + IBW]).25 A minimum of 60 to 70g of protein per day should be ingested.13 Many programs recommend a range of 60 to 80 grams total protein intake per day or 1.0 to 1.5g/kg IBW, although exact needs have yet to be defined. The use of 1.5g/kg IBW/day beyond the early post-surgical phase is probably above metabolic requirements for non-complicated patients and may prevent the consumption of other macronutrients in the context of volume restrictions. An analysis of the RYGB patient’s typical nutrient intake at one year postoperative found no significant changes in albumin with daily protein consumption at 1.1g/kg IBW.12 Following BPD/DS procedures, the amount of protein should be increased by approximately 30 percent to accommodate for malabsorption, making the average protein requirement for these patients approximately 90g/day.30

Here is a link to a Pound to KG conversion calculator you can use to determine your weight in KGs if you want to use the formulas above to determine the amount of protein necessary to support a healthy body post op.
 Please make sure to check with your Dr. or Nutritionist before making any changes to the protein levels in your diet. 

Barabra,

I'm guessing that you're doing all this "research" and "cut and paste" activity with the very best of intentions.  But your results are lacking because your technique is lacking.

I was trying to figure out what the hell that ").25" at the end of your first math formula was...and it was nothing to do with math or the formula.  What you did was cut and paste this: 

"Protein Prescription for the Bariatric Patient
Usual protein recommendations for the post-bariatric surgery patient are anywhere from 1 to 2g protein per kg of adjusted body weight—calculated as current body weight (CBW) minus ideal body weight (IBW) multiplied by 25 percent plus IBW [CBW-IBW x 25% + IBW]).25 A minimum of 60 to 70g of protein per day should be ingested.13 Many programs recommend a range of 60 to 80 grams total protein intake per day or 1.0 to 1.5g/kg IBW, although exact needs have yet to be defined. The use of 1.5g/kg IBW/day beyond the early post-surgical phase is probably above metabolic requirements for non-complicated patients and may prevent the consumption of other macronutrients in the context of volume restrictions. An analysis of the RYGB patient’s typical nutrient intake at one year postoperative found no significant changes in albumin with daily protein consumption at 1.1g/kg IBW.12 Following BPD/DS procedures, the amount of protein should be increased by approximately 30 percent to accommodate for malabsorption, making the average protein requirement for these patients approximately 90g/day.

Scratching my head, I eventually noticed the ones I have colored red in the above paragraph.  They are reference to footnotes.  Footnotes you didn't include and which you didn't differentiate from the rest of the text in any way.  Footnote NUMBERS that might cause someone to try to apply that formula including the ").25" at the end, based on the fairly rational assumption that the other parentheses...the one on the left...was for some reason not showing.

In the interest of accuracy, please do not post formulae with random numbers attached at the end without an explanation of what those numbers are all about.

Someone could get hurt.

Victorious_one
on 10/9/11 4:42 am - South Central, PA

Dear Newbies, Lurkers, Information-Gatherers, etc.:

I've been protein malnourished, and it's not pretty.  Y'all don't want none of that!

Therefore, DO NOT follow the recommendation in this article/original post.  

According to this formula, I would need something like 65g of protein a day.  I'd be in the hospital by Day 6 of that mess. 

My own surgeon said that 100g per day would be enough.  Not for me it isn't.  

Most DSers I see posting try to take in at least 120g of protein a day.  Many (like myself) shoot for 150g, and many other work for 180-200g.  You go primarily on your frequently-taken, very comprehensive lab reports, but also on how you feel. More protein seems to give most people more energy and stamina.

It's totally easy to get in 150g of protein per day, and hard NOT to:

*3 coffee protein drinks = 150g (2 scoops of Champion Pure Whey +coffee + 4 oz half & half)
*2 coffee protein drinks + 50g in food (2 eggs & a slice of bacon for breakfast + 1 chicken breast for lunch would do it)

Friends of mine on MyFitnessPal (same user name as here, Victorious_One) are welcome to review my eating stuff.  Ignore the carbs, though. 

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
pktwatch
on 10/9/11 6:22 am
After all of this I assume that for the most part it is OK to follow the 30g at 30 days 60g at 60 days and 90g by 90 day rule that I have been reading. I am less than 30 days out and getting at least 40g a day right now. So far it does not seem like my tastes have changed much, everything that I have had so far still tastes good to me. I am able to get in all of my vites and at least one protein drink a day.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

Nicolle
on 10/9/11 1:01 pm
On October 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM Pacific Time, Barbara C. wrote:
There are often a lot of questions and concerns about how much protein we need after bariatric surgery. This is a link to a paper that appeared in Bariatric Times. This paper titled Protein and the Bariatric Patient by Laura Frank, PhD, MPH, RD, CD, October 2008 appeared in the Bariatric Times (http://bariatrictimes.com/2008/10/07/protein-and-the-bariatr ic-patient-2/)

The conclusion of this discussion appears below: 

Protein Prescription for the Bariatric Patient 
Usual protein recommendations for the post-bariatric surgery patient are anywhere from 1 to 2g protein per kg of adjusted body weight—calculated as current body weight (CBW) minus ideal body weight (IBW) multiplied by 25 percent plus IBW [CBW-IBW x 25% + IBW]).25 A minimum of 60 to 70g of protein per day should be ingested.13 Many programs recommend a range of 60 to 80 grams total protein intake per day or 1.0 to 1.5g/kg IBW, although exact needs have yet to be defined. The use of 1.5g/kg IBW/day beyond the early post-surgical phase is probably above metabolic requirements for non-complicated patients and may prevent the consumption of other macronutrients in the context of volume restrictions. An analysis of the RYGB patient’s typical nutrient intake at one year postoperative found no significant changes in albumin with daily protein consumption at 1.1g/kg IBW.12 Following BPD/DS procedures, the amount of protein should be increased by approximately 30 percent to accommodate for malabsorption, making the average protein requirement for these patients approximately 90g/day.30

Here is a link to a Pound to KG conversion calculator you can use to determine your weight in KGs if you want to use the formulas above to determine the amount of protein necessary to support a healthy body post op.
 Please make sure to check with your Dr. or Nutritionist before making any changes to the protein levels in your diet. 
Reported:

This person's posts on the DS board are downright unsafe. She routinely SLOPPILY cuts and pastes then posts her uneducated crap/advice on the DS forum. Perhaps her advice works for HER surgery, but she does NOT know the first thing about being a DSer and is liable to kill a DS newbie with her stupidity. In this case, most DSers need far more protein than her outdated cut-and-paste nonsense indicates.

She refuses to reply to anyone who posts to her refuting her false "information." Please delete her post on this thread and kindly ask her to stop and THINK before she posts nonsense about surgeries she has no clue about. She may end up hurting someone and it will be on YOUR head that you did not stop her when you had the chance, OH.

ETA: Barb, your BS disclaimer does not make this behavior "okay." Give up posting on the DS board, please.

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

NoMore B.
on 10/9/11 1:15 pm

yorkieGal
on 10/11/11 12:10 am - Clermont, FL
Good Lord, why do some people come out with such rubbish.....if you can't say something helpful and intelligent then don;t say anything at all.....newbies need to be reminded and often that we need to make sure our protein levels stay up and this nonsense can only do harm.

I for one, need over 120g - 150g a day to keep my protein markers where I need them to be. I can usually get this by my eating but I often have a double scoop protein shake for insurance purposes.

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!