How much protein do we need?

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/8/11 8:42 am - Sedona, AZ
thank you!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

airbender
on 10/8/11 9:02 am
Requirments are individualized with some range.  Essentially the more you weight the more you need, now take into consideration that as a DSer we have a certain percentage that is malabsorbed.  DS is not mainstream, hence there is a significant amount of wrong info out there.  30% increase as stated is grossly low, while this is dependent on many factors, age, health, surgeon's limb lengths, gender, etc. it is lower than any peer reviewed journal citings that  I have read in the last 10 years, we malabsorb more than 30% protein, hence our increase should be more than the 30%, while some would do ok with the 90 g/day, this would not be a norm and this would be the exception, for example a very "small"-for example a 90 lb woman needs much less protein than a 180 lb woman, with all health status being the same for those women.   for the sake of newbies, the 90 g/day protein is misleading, and has the potential to evenutally cause a protein deficency, is the not the recommeded amount.  as with everything else pay attention to your body, and your lab work and adjust when a trend is noticed.
feeder3565
on 10/8/11 9:31 am
Barbara are you sure you are on the right board?  This is the DS board. Why print things that can be dangerous for so many DSers? Are labs are our guide. But you know that, so why?   

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 10:37 am - TX
 What bothers me about it is she has this web-site bestowed title that gives her posts a certain gravitas, whether warranted or not.  

I feel it is dangerous to lurkers and newbies who may take her as a person of knowledge and authority.  Especially since her posts are almost always inappropriate to the DS.

It also irks me that she posts and runs, never staying to hear our responses and take the opportunity to learn.

Twyla S.
on 10/8/11 11:42 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Well hell....what happened to that post deleter person who had my brain so traumatized with all the disappearing posts?  Just seems to me, that giving false information to people is wrong...Isn't that against the law somehow?  At least against a forum law somewhere.  I'm a pre op---what if I came on here, saw her post, hadn't been researching like I should, and believed her.  I could end up dead.  Just seems so wrong somehow to be misleading people this way.....and for that matter, to go to the DS forum, SPECIFICALLY, to do it.  Where are the forum po po's when you need them?
pktwatch
on 10/8/11 12:45 pm
Can some of you vets give examples of what you eat (including protein drinks) to get in 130 to 150g of protein a day?

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

beemerbeeper
on 10/8/11 12:51 pm - AL
4 one scoop protein cake shakes 25 each =  100

6 oz sirloin steak = 50

So I don't even have to count the bacon and eggs, cheese I snack on, almonds, or any of the rest.

A great place to hang out is the Bites and Vites thread.  I highly recommend reading AND posting to it during your weight loss phase. 

~Becky

pktwatch
on 10/8/11 12:59 pm
Yum! I'll be happy when I can eat that again!! I have to go find that protein cake recipe, I have seen it talked about a lot here..........is it something I can have at 3 weeks out?

HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

beemerbeeper
on 10/8/11 1:55 pm - AL
I don't know PK. What are you allowed to eat?  This is a cake so I guess I would call it soft food???

Here's how I make it:

3 T splenda
1T dark cocoa
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract (not imitation)
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
3 T cooking oil
1/8 cup or more water

You can use less oil since you are early out.  I use a lot of oil because it helps keep me from getting constipated. 

I used a heavy 20 oz Corningware mug that I bought at Walmart to mix and cook it in.

Mix well.  If it looks grainy add a little more water until it is smooth.  Taste the batter.  If the batter tastes good the cake will too.  Nuke for 40 seconds.  If it is runny at the bottom (tilt the cup and see if it moves) then nuke it another 5 seconds.

Top with Whiopped topping, cool whip, whatever.

To me it is like eating a cream filled cupcake (ding dong?  zinger?)

I had to experiment a few times to figure out how I like it.  So don't give up if your first effort isn't great.  It is worth putting some time into to figure out how you like it.

~Becky

Nu

pktwatch
on 10/9/11 12:12 am
On October 8, 2011 at 8:55 PM Pacific Time, beemerbeeper wrote:
I don't know PK. What are you allowed to eat?  This is a cake so I guess I would call it soft food???

Here's how I make it:

3 T splenda
1T dark cocoa
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract (not imitation)
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
3 T cooking oil
1/8 cup or more water

You can use less oil since you are early out.  I use a lot of oil because it helps keep me from getting constipated. 

I used a heavy 20 oz Corningware mug that I bought at Walmart to mix and cook it in.

Mix well.  If it looks grainy add a little more water until it is smooth.  Taste the batter.  If the batter tastes good the cake will too.  Nuke for 40 seconds.  If it is runny at the bottom (tilt the cup and see if it moves) then nuke it another 5 seconds.

Top with Whiopped topping, cool whip, whatever.

To me it is like eating a cream filled cupcake (ding dong?  zinger?)

I had to experiment a few times to figure out how I like it.  So don't give up if your first effort isn't great.  It is worth putting some time into to figure out how you like it.

~Becky

Nu
I am on soft food, I eat a lot of cottage cheese so I think the protein cake shakes would be OK. I'll check out the daily Bites and Vites thread.

Thanks!

HW    368
SW    328
CW    180