How much protein do we need?

Barbara C.
on 10/8/11 6:58 am - Raleigh, NC
There are often a lot of questions and concerns about how much protein we need after bariatric surgery. This is a link to a paper that appeared in Bariatric Times. This paper titled Protein and the Bariatric Patient by Laura Frank, PhD, MPH, RD, CD, October 2008 appeared in the Bariatric Times (http://bariatrictimes.com/2008/10/07/protein-and-the-bariatr ic-patient-2/)

The conclusion of this discussion appears below: 

Protein Prescription for the Bariatric Patient 
Usual protein recommendations for the post-bariatric surgery patient are anywhere from 1 to 2g protein per kg of adjusted body weight—calculated as current body weight (CBW) minus ideal body weight (IBW) multiplied by 25 percent plus IBW [CBW-IBW x 25% + IBW]).25 A minimum of 60 to 70g of protein per day should be ingested.13 Many programs recommend a range of 60 to 80 grams total protein intake per day or 1.0 to 1.5g/kg IBW, although exact needs have yet to be defined. The use of 1.5g/kg IBW/day beyond the early post-surgical phase is probably above metabolic requirements for non-complicated patients and may prevent the consumption of other macronutrients in the context of volume restrictions. An analysis of the RYGB patient’s typical nutrient intake at one year postoperative found no significant changes in albumin with daily protein consumption at 1.1g/kg IBW.12 Following BPD/DS procedures, the amount of protein should be increased by approximately 30 percent to accommodate for malabsorption, making the average protein requirement for these patients approximately 90g/day.30

Here is a link to a Pound to KG conversion calculator you can use to determine your weight in KGs if you want to use the formulas above to determine the amount of protein necessary to support a healthy body post op.
 Please make sure to check with your Dr. or Nutritionist before making any changes to the protein levels in your diet. 

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 7:08 am - TX
beemerbeeper
on 10/8/11 7:26 am - AL
People make sure you get ALL your protein labs and go by those when looking at how much protien to get.  A lot of us have found that we need 150 grams of protein a day to do well. 

90 grams would be the very barest of minimum that I would think you MIGHT be able to get by with for a short time.

We often recommend for DSers to get 30 grams by 30 days, 60 by 60, 90 by 90 and at LEAST 100 for life.

~Becky

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/8/11 7:35 am - Sedona, AZ
from what she is saying tho our protein needs diminish a but wth body mass loss- which does make sense.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

MajorMom
on 10/8/11 7:49 am - VA
4 yeas out and my NUT looked at my labs last week and says keep doing 120 to 150 a day. She goes by my albumin and prealbumin.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 8:02 am
My protein needs increased rather than decreased.

I am a DS post-op and I NEED at least 150gms of protein per day according to my labs.  At 100 gms of protein per day all my protein markers headed downhill after I was about 18 months post-op.

MajorMom
on 10/8/11 8:08 am - VA
lol  I love your avatar!

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 10:29 am

Elizabeth N.
on 10/8/11 9:20 am - Burlington County, NJ
Me too. By this formula, I should need 65 grams of protein per day, which is BS for DSers anyhow. Doubling that brings me to 130 grams per day, which barely maintains my current low-normal levels at my current activity level. So 150 minimum it is for me, too.

I fail to understand why this person bothers to post her drivel on this forum. Unfortunately, certain people believe her bull**** and that is both to be expected and dismaying.

NoMore B.
on 10/8/11 8:30 am
 For the benefit of anyone reading this looking for advice on protein needs after the DS - this person is giving bad information.

Most of us need upwards of 120g protein.  It is critical that you monitor your labs and adjust accordingly - for the rest of your life.