XP-nasal pillow rawness

LuckyLibrarian
on 10/8/11 1:09 am - Plumerville, AR
I just got my CPAP about a month ago, and am using the Swift FX for her nasal pillow mask. My nostrils have seriously gotten raw and painful. I figured that I would get used to it eventually, but after a month, no dice.

Do the nose masks cause irritation/rawness?

Thanks,
Kristen
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation." - Walter Cronkite

lovemypugs
on 10/8/11 2:07 am - VA
This happened to me. I had a huge scap from it that left a scar. What worked for me was slathering vasoline on my nostrils before putting mask on. It's messy and gross but it worked!

Duodenal Switch on February 21, 2011

Surgery weight: 276; Current weight: 122; Height: 5'5

Plastics scheduled for 10/3/14: BL/BA, LBL, TL

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 2:23 am
Ditto for the nasal pillows and slathering um.. well, I just had KY and it worked too! LOL.

The face masks would start a staph infection on the side of my face no matter how clean or how much I wiped my face and mask with antibacterial wipes. Just normal part of my skin floral and my skin really hated the face masks.  Sometimes I do a switch to the face mask if my nose gets too raw and then switch back.

Oh and I tried the gel thingie to help the rubbing. Seemed to work, but it's a pita to get placed so there are no leaks and it wasn't smacking me in the eye.

Hugs,
Ratkity
prettypixels
on 10/8/11 4:24 am
I have a nose only face mask and I really don't like it. I keep ripping it off in the middle of the night when I am sleeping. CPAP is so hard to get used to. I am working on it (before Elizabeth comes here to spank me!), and I am not giving up... but it seems like ALL the masks have something tough to deal with. I don't know if nasal pillows would be better for me or not. Do they go IN your nose???
LuckyLibrarian
on 10/8/11 4:42 am - Plumerville, AR
Yes, mine goes in my nose- but just a little bit. Makes the inside of my nostril and the rim a little sore. Someone said that turning the humidity down can help lessen the soreness. I will try that, as well as some A&D ointment.

I have been 100% compliant in using my CPAP, and I can tell a HUGE difference. I no longer have thr overwhelming urge to nap several times a day -even at my desk at work! I am even off of medicine that kept me awake, Nuvigil.

CPAP therapy is a life changer for me. I hope you can learn to love it as much as I do.
Kristen
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation." - Walter Cronkite

prettypixels
on 10/8/11 7:16 am
 Wow that is wonderful that you've had such success with it!  I hate being such a light and picky sleeper.  I am going to keep trying.  I really don't want to invest in another mask if I don't have to;  I'm hopeful I won't need it for long after surgery, kwim?  I didn't mean to mememe on your thread anyways!  

Have you tried any different creams before bed?  Maybe aquaphor instead of just vaseline? 
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

sandyv63
on 10/8/11 5:55 am - Naples, FL
Ugh, I hate my CPAP! I had to try a variety of masks before I found one that didn't slide all over my face or leak too much. The one I have covers my nose and mouth and has a small very soft shelf, for lack of a better descriptive word, that goes under my chin. This keeps the darn thing from ending up on my ear (or my eye, or my forehead, or...) It has straps both across the forehead and also down near the jawline. Kinda gives me that always charming Hannibal Lecter look. I don't have anything that goes into my nostrils though and I think this is what is causing you irritation.
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/8/11 8:02 am - Sedona, AZ
that nasal pillow one was my last effort- I cant have straps going over my neck as it in unstable and moves & pinches a nerve in my neck. this one I could strap on the top of my head above it. I did get a sore on my nose from it but the main thing was it inflamed my sinuses and I would throw it off during the night. I did give it time but it was a no go just like the other CPAPs.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

LuckyLibrarian
on 10/9/11 12:06 am - Plumerville, AR
I used A&D ointment last night, turned the humidifier down to 1, and slept like a champ! The craziest thing is that when using the CPAP, I never move. I used to roll constantly throughout the night, and constantly change positions. Now, I sleep like a vampire, dead to the world. Love it!
Kristen