need some help and suggestions

stillhopefull
on 10/8/11 12:01 am
 After lunch on Thursday, I got a bad stomach pain like when I over eat.  I thought it will go away it always does.  It didn't.  When I got home I tried a sip of water and the pain got worse.  After a few minutes I vomited and the pain subsided but still there.  All day yesterday pain there.  Took maybe three sips of water all day long and after the sip the pain intensified.  I woke up this morning and the pain was gone.  I took a sip of water, pain really bad,  and vomit.  I sent an e-mail to my GI doc before I left work on Friday hoping this was a bug.  I don't think so since it is still hanging on.

Do you think it could be a stricture?  I have a liter of saline and everything I need here at home to hydrate with so will do this until Monday and hopefully I can see my GI doc.  Don't want to go to ER because we all know this will be 6 or more hours of poking and proding and twenty million questions about my surgery that no one knows or cares about. I would rather wait until Monday and have a CT scan at work.

You opinons welcome on what you think might be going on.  Big girl panties on...... 
Thanks,
Terry
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 12:25 am
Did you call Dr. K yet?

There are a few things it could be but I would want Dr. K in the loop when you get looked at by your GI doc. JMHO

Swinging all the critters for you.

You know the drill, if the pain gets worse get to the ER and have them call your doc.

Michele
larra
on 10/8/11 1:46 am - bay area, CA
This sounds more like a bowel obstruction than a stricture. Usually the symptoms of a stricture will come on gradually as it tightens up, and also it would usually show up sooner after your surgery. Also, while a stricture would prevent you from eating and cause vomiting, it generally isn't painful.
     I totally understand your desire to not go to the ER, but the last thing you want is a delay in diagnosis or care that could lead to complications, such as ischemic or dead bowel. I would get that CT scan sooner rather than later.

Larra
stillhopefull
on 10/8/11 2:07 am
 Larra,
Would I still be passing stool with an obstruction?  Due to LOTS of complications after surgery, I have only been able to eat this last month.  May be an obstruction I don't know.  All I know is I am thirsty.........

Thanks everyone for the help.
Terry
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
larra
on 10/8/11 2:29 am - bay area, CA
It's possible you could have an obstruction and still pass stool depending on the location of the obstruction. For example, if the obstruction is in the BP limb, you could pass stool...though that might not have vomiting as such a prominent symptom. Or, if the obstruction is somewhere in the alimentary limb but very high up, there could still be stool left over from before you became obstructed.
     However, I didn't realize and take into account your other complications and that you only recently began eating. I think this makes the situation way too complicated for any of us to guess at over the Internet. I will say, though, that if you feel thirsty, you are already behind on fluids and need to get tanked up at the very least, and also that a phone call to your surgeon, even on the weekend, is indicated. I don't know what's wrong, but then again, neither do you, we both only know that something is wrong, and if you need to phone him and go to the ER, well, that's what you need to do.
     Sorry, and I hope it's something simple and that you feel better soon!

Larra
stillhopefull
on 10/8/11 3:19 am
 Thanks Larra I started an IV on myself and am getting a liter of NS as we speak.  If my GI doc won't do a CT scan on Monday I will call my Hematologist and I know he will.  My surgeon is Dr. K in California and I have seen two other surgeons here in Tampa since surgery and both have told me if I ever need surgery I will have to go to California.  I have an appointment with a baraitric surgeon in November to discuss my huge hernia I have and hopefully he will not tell me to go to California. He is the same surgeon who helped Linda when she had all her complications from Brazil. 

Anyway, if things get any worse I will definately go to ER but hope I can hold out until Monday and get a CT scan at work and take from there.  

Many, many thanks for your help and concern,
Terry
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
Mdae
on 10/8/11 3:32 am
I agree with Larra.  I think you should go in.  A bowel obstruction (even partial) can become very serious very quickly, a matter of hours.

larra
on 10/8/11 9:22 am - bay area, CA
Terry, Dr. K was not my surgeon, but from what I understand he makes himself available to his patients on weekends. I'm not suggesting that you need to go to CA either now or in the immediate future, just that you call and let him know what's going on and see if he feels you need to be seen sooner rather than "holding out" til Monday.
     Please don't wait til it's too late.

Larra
Elizabeth N.
on 10/8/11 9:30 am - Burlington County, NJ
Honey, I'm really sorry, but it's ER time. This kind of pain, vomiting and inability to keep down ANY fluids? Your game plan for ONE lousy liter of saline to keep you for three days? Really, really stupid idea.

You are already dehydrated. Get your butt over there and get plumped up. Besides, if this is an obstruction, you know all too well what all can happen between now and then. I'm sorry you'll have to endure a bleepin' ER routine, but this is potentially killer stuff. I will be awfully pissed off at you if you die, you hear me?

neacres100
on 10/8/11 11:48 am - NJ
Dont delay.  go to the er.  better safe than sorry.

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!