DS Informational Show?

kramer5
on 10/7/11 2:06 pm - Washington, KS
I've been watching Discovery Fit & Health this evening and it's all about the gastric bypass and I'm wondering if anyone's ever seen a show done on the DS?  If so, do you remember the name?

How long do you think it will take before the DS becomes the gold standard instead of the gastric bypass?

If it wasn't for this board I would have had a gastric bypass and I would have been so disappointed.  If people could watch something that explains it, shows someone going through it, and their recovery I think it could really help to educate not only those who are research WLS but also their friends and family.

Dawn

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 12:00 am
On October 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM Pacific Time, kramer5 wrote:
I've been watching Discovery Fit & Health this evening and it's all about the gastric bypass and I'm wondering if anyone's ever seen a show done on the DS?  If so, do you remember the name?

How long do you think it will take before the DS becomes the gold standard instead of the gastric bypass?

If it wasn't for this board I would have had a gastric bypass and I would have been so disappointed.  If people could watch something that explains it, shows someone going through it, and their recovery I think it could really help to educate not only those who are research WLS but also their friends and family.

There was a show done, I think it was called 'Cathy's Story', but I am not sure.  There may have been a few others that I am not aware of, I believe there was one recently on NPR.  Hopefully, someone will have that link.

We call the DS the "Platinum Standard".  I don't know that it will ever become as common as the RNY due to the DS being a more complicated surgery.  It's all about the $$$$.  DS surgeons seem to be more dedicated to fighting obesity and less about the money.  Bariatric surgeons that do the DS have had more training and more skills than your run-of-the-mill surgeons.

I would have had no surgery at all if not for this board because I was unwilling to have the RNY. I was so unwilling that I self-paid and flew thousands of miles to get my DS when the RNY would have been paid for 100% by my insurance and done right down the street from my house.

All that being said, I don't believe that everyone should have the DS.  There are some people, for what ever reason, that will be better off with a VSG.

Michele
Renee2007
on 10/8/11 12:48 am - Central, FL

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

kramer5
on 10/8/11 2:11 am - Washington, KS
Thanks!!
Dawn

Samaro ..
on 10/8/11 2:18 am
Discovery Channel has done a few stories about DS patients.  In addition to the one Renee listed there is another called The Shrinking Woman.  However there are no listings shown for future airings of that episode.  The other one that they have aired was about a young man but I can't remember his name anymore.  All of these patients were Husted patients.

If you stream Netflix you can also watch "Extreme Bodies Episode 2: Super Obese".  The DS is one of the surgeries used and Dr. John Rabkin is featured.

Renee2007
on 10/8/11 2:21 am - Central, FL
 The young boy was John Brandon Edgar and I searched for a link to his documentary but I never found one. I did find where he had an arrest record so Discovery may have stopped featuring his story. I'm not sure.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Elizabeth N.
on 10/8/11 2:54 am - Burlington County, NJ
The one featuring Husted as surgeon involved a patient they called "Big John," I believe. He was a teenager who did a really ****ty job of self care, aftercare and followup.

kramer5
on 10/8/11 3:31 am - Washington, KS